• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24, 600 jobs to go!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24, 600 jobs to go!!!

Anyone at EDS
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Actually it's 24,600 jobs are to be moved:

Unless the half-and-half figure is purely a coincidence, this sounds like HP's restructuring plan is largely about shipping American EDS ops overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
      Actually it's 24,600 jobs are to be moved:
      To the dole queue...;-)
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ:US): The world's largest maker of personal computers said it plans to cut about 24,600 jobs over three years as part of its integration of Electronic Data Systems Corp.

I guess this could have as big an effect on the IT contract market as the banks going under.
        Last edited by ace00; 16 September 2008, 08:08. Reason: I like Italics
        Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
          Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ:US): The world's largest maker of personal computers said it plans to cut about 24,600 jobs over three years as part of its integration of Electronic Data Systems Corp.

I guess this could have as big an effect on the IT contract market as the banks going under.
          Depends on how they do it. Cutting 24,000 permie roles and then back filling with contractors as and when they are needed could actually boost the contract market.

They cut overheads and shift project staffing costs onto the clients.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Support staff

Its mainly support staff as HP wont need two lots of all the support functions like two HR teams and two legal team. Billable staff should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
              Yes, how are we going to compete with all those sharp-as-a-tack EDS consultants?

Comment

the last contract i had EDS were in the chain, all involved on the project were called in and the EDS HP buyout was announced

all EDS staff instantly began with the usual "well they cant get rid of me because I am in charge of <insert ridiculously outdated permie task that can easily be replaced with a decent system or process>"

oh dear

p.s I spoke with the EDS PM last week and suprisingly everything is on track for now
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I thought most of the redundencies were supposed to be in like, HR, the Legal Department, etc, in america?

Comment

EDS has to be the most unfortunate company I've ever had the pleasure to come accross. Never worked for them however clients of mine that used them had nothing but problems.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X