PDA

View Full Version : The Plight of the Gurkha

stingman123
16th September 2008, 07:26
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4761163.ece

It's amazing isn't it? This government welcome's all and sundry to come over to the UK and live it up and claim benefits (OK I know that not all the immigrants) then these guys who have served and died for the UK are refused! Other foreign soldiers in the Army can settle in the UK after only 4 years but not the Gurkhas. Its it just me?

PM-Junkie
16th September 2008, 07:55

It's amazing isn't it? This government welcome's all and sundry to come over to the UK and live it up and claim benefits (OK I know that not all the immigrants) then these guys who have served and died for the UK are refused! Other foreign soldiers in the Army can settle in the UK after only 4 years but not the Gurkhas. Its it just me?

Very few things make my blood boil like this does. What we should do is put these idiot politicians in a room with a few Gurkhas, tell the Gurkhas they are enemies of Britain and see how quickly the idiots join the rest of us in the human race.

Spacecadet
16th September 2008, 08:18

Nope not just you... disgusting way to treat people who have served the UK so well.
Still I'm not sure we also want the dead ones claiming benefits :D

SandyDown
16th September 2008, 08:19

Yawn

Spacecadet
16th September 2008, 08:20
Yawn

you should get to bed earlier
Or is it the fasting thats making you feel tired?

SandyDown
16th September 2008, 08:38
you should get to bed earlier
Or is it the fasting thats making you feel tired?

Am not fasting today - its a sin

VectraMan
16th September 2008, 08:43
these guys who have served and died for the UK are refused!

Do we really want dead immigrants?

The Lone Gunman
16th September 2008, 09:03
The Gurkha thing is very complex.
They accept terms and conditions when they sign up. So complaining afterwards is wrong.

Personally I think it is time that their terms and conditions were changed. They are a superb fighting force who have an exemplary record in the British Army and (I think) a disproportionate number of VCs.

Considering who we DO let in it seems ridiculous to deny the Gurkha.

PM-Junkie
16th September 2008, 09:38
The Gurkha thing is very complex.

No. It is very simple - it is about respect and gratitude.

But then expecting politicians to understand those two words is a waste of time I suppose.

bogeyman
16th September 2008, 10:00
Do we really want dead immigrants?

Exactly! They come over here, filling up our graves...

Seriously though, the treatment of these brave men is appalling.

NotAllThere
16th September 2008, 11:54
Am not fasting today - its a sin

And not giving a toss about injustice isn't, obviously.

PM-Junkie
16th September 2008, 11:59
And not giving a toss about injustice isn't, obviously.

WHS :yay:

Moose423956
16th September 2008, 12:02
Yawn

I don't know who or what you really are, but you should be grateful to people like the Gurkhas who fought for your (and my) freedom. Do you think if Hitler had won WWII that the resulting administrations would allow people to practise whatever religion they chose? Be grateful that you can practise your fashionable pseudo-Islamism in a free society, because if it wasn't for Gurkhas and the other allied forces (including my father) you'd probably have been shot by now.

Diver
16th September 2008, 12:03
No. It is very simple - it is about respect and gratitude.

But then expecting politicians to understand those two words is a waste of time I suppose.

Hear Hear :yay::yay::yay:

Diver
16th September 2008, 12:05
Yawn

Another valuable contribution from SasyDown :rolleyes:

KathyWoolfe
16th September 2008, 12:29
I agree that the treatment of the Ghurkas is appalling.

They deserve so much more than the immigrants who come here so they can live off our so-called welfare state and moan about their "human rights" every time they encounter some obstacle to their lifestyle. In fact some (not all) of the legal residents of this country could follow the example of these (mostly) humble people.

Troll
16th September 2008, 12:40
There really is no argument....

In addition to the enormous manpower made available there were many personal gestures on the part of the Minister and Court of Nepal. Large sums of money for the purchase of weapons and equipment, including money for the provision of fighter aircraft during the Battle of Britain, were presented as gifts from Nepal. Considerable sums of money were also donated to the Lord Mayor of London during the Blitz for the relief of victims in the dockland area. An equally generous response was made to a variety of appeals for aid – all this from a country which was then, and still is by western standards, desperately poor.

The spirit of this friendship can best be illustrated by the reply made to the Prime Minister of Nepal to the British Minister in Kathmandu after the fall of France in 1940. When Britain stood alone.

Permission was sought to recruit an additional 20 battalions for the Gurkha Brigade, and for Gurkha troops to be allowed to serve in any part of the world. This was readily granted by the Prime Minister who remarked, “Does a friend desert a friend in time of need? If you win, we win with you. If you lose, we lose with you”. The whole of the Nepalese Army was again placed at the disposal of the British Crown.

Peoplesoft bloke
16th September 2008, 12:59

It's amazing isn't it? This government welcome's[sic} all and sundry to come over to the UK and live it up and claim benefits (OK I know that not all the immigrants) then these guys who have served and died for the UK are refused! Other foreign soldiers in the Army can settle in the UK after only 4 years but not the Gurkhas. Its it just me?
So they won't let the dead ones stay here - that is a bit much.

Ahem - just for the record, there really is no excuse for this, especially as others have observed, when seem happy to import pickpockets, criminals and Islamic terrorists as well illiterates who don't speak English.

bogeyman
16th September 2008, 13:03
Another valuable contribution from SasyDown :rolleyes:

More concerned with burkas than Gurkhas.

Andy2
16th September 2008, 13:04
So they won't let the dead ones stay here - that is a bit much.

I say let all the dead ones in