• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Server is Down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Server is Down

All my work is on a server that is based in Houston!! the server was down since Friday... dunno what to do, don't want to call the poor admins in Houston, they probably have enough on their hands with all damage to their houses and no power or water, only am running out of things to do...

oh there is no mirror server as the work on this server was not considered business critical

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    All my work is on a server that is based in Houston!! the server was down since Friday... dunno what to do, don't want to call the poor admins in Houston, they probably have enough on their hands with all damage to their houses and no power or water, only am running out of things to do...

oh there is no mirror server as the work on this server was not considered business critical
    I had thought you meant the butler was performing oral sex for you.

Just keep posting here till it comes back love, you know we are your friends.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

yeh can post on here, play with visio a little ... one bastward colleague wants me to do some programming I haven't done any programming for about 4 to 5 years, and my contract listed that I am doing analysis and design, and no programming, but I may be forced to do some programming

Comment

yeh can post on here, play with visio a little ... one bastward colleague wants me to do some programming I haven't done any programming for about 4 to 5 years, and my contract listed that I am doing analysis and design, and no programming, but I may be forced to do some programming
        always helps to keep your old skills alive, no need to neglect them just because your contract doesn't require it.
        What about your next contract?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          always helps to keep your old skills alive, no need to neglect them just because your contract doesn't require it.
          What about your next contract?
          I ditched being a code monkey for years now - don't want to go back to it really, I want to have a life mate... no more staying late hours to fix a stupid bug, no more worrying about application server configurations blah blah blah... love what I do at the moment, talking to clients and businesses, designing a solution for them, running workshops, analysing requirements/data/processes and resolving issues, writing solid docs, diagrams and PowerPoint slides, training users on new processes ...

If the market wasn't bad - I'd just say no... but as you said the market is not getting better so have to do it, only as a contractor they are probably not going to bare with me while I re-learn the oldie code!! Also their applications are really complex

We'll see what happens, may be a miracle would save me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            I had thought you meant the butler was performing oral sex for you.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Many years ago I was working at City Bank. A nerd in the US changed the system board in the master DS and time server and he did not set the time on the new board so it ran with the default date (1980?). There was no external time source to correct this and the global network and transaction times on all servers were all reverting back causing lockouts and database inconsistencies. We unplugged the LAN in the UK preserving our servers integrity the twats in the US still left their master serving connected and running trying to correct the error.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

yawn
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

We'll see what happens, may be a miracle would save me.
                  Maybe Allah is punishing you for your sins

Comment

Judging by your comment on the Gurkha thread sandy, I very much doubt that any of your work has ever been considered "business critical". I expect your continued employment has more to do with your coffee-making skills than your initiative and enterprise. Can you suck a golf ball through a garden hose I wonder?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X