PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance

d000hg
16th September 2008, 08:15
It's time to renew, so I'm updating my data on confused.com. It wants to know my occupation... last year I was employed as a computer programmer but now I'm a freelancer working through my Ltd. I guess the options I have to choose between are "self employed" and "director". Even though my company only exists for the tax benefits, and I am really still a software developer, is "director" the right option?

JoJoGabor
16th September 2008, 08:26
It doesnt matter

TykeMerc
16th September 2008, 09:29
It doesnt matter

Actually it can make quite a difference, some occupations have statistically higher risk than others in car crash terms.

daviejones
16th September 2008, 09:40
Surely you are employed as a director of a company???

Cyberman
16th September 2008, 12:20
I used www.quotezone.com this year and reduced my car insurance from 280 pounds with Direct Line to 180 pounds approx. with Swiftcover(on-line insurance) fully comp which included protected no-claims. :D

basshead
16th September 2008, 12:36
Actually it can make quite a difference, some occupations have statistically higher risk than others in car crash terms.

e.g.
Racing driver
Footballer
Boxer

;)

TykeMerc
16th September 2008, 12:46
Journalist
Sales
Military (never understood this one, it could be the average age being low)
Sportsman

All of the occupations listed have risk profiles attached and those can raise or lower or have no effect on the price.

d000hg
16th September 2008, 13:13
So it asks me the employed/self employed/director question, and then for my main occupation. I don't really know what's correct... I'm not used to thinking of myself as a director since that's not what I actually do day to day.

ratewhore
16th September 2008, 13:15
Even though my company only exists for the tax benefits...

I'll assume you've voluntarily placed yourself inside IR35 then?

d000hg
16th September 2008, 13:53
I'll assume you've voluntarily placed yourself inside IR35 then?I'm not a contractor, I'm a freelancer. My other option is to be self-employed. In which case I would not take a salary and would not be paying company NI contributions or taking dividends. I'm way outside IR35 on just about every factor they list.

ratewhore
16th September 2008, 13:56
I'm not a contractor, I'm a freelancer.

Glad we cleared that one up then. I've worked with a few guys who insist they are consultants, not contractors.

Incidentally, one of the tests for IR35 is IBOYOA. You've completely failed that by your own admission.

d000hg
16th September 2008, 17:15
Glad we cleared that one up then. I've worked with a few guys who insist they are consultants, not contractors.

Incidentally, one of the tests for IR35 is IBOYOA. You've completely failed that by your own admission."In Business on Your Own Account"? I don't follow - what is it I'm not doing I should be or vice versa? I can't think of any way I could be further from an employee, please clarify.