• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car insurance

It's time to renew, so I'm updating my data on confused.com. It wants to know my occupation... last year I was employed as a computer programmer but now I'm a freelancer working through my Ltd. I guess the options I have to choose between are "self employed" and "director". Even though my company only exists for the tax benefits, and I am really still a software developer, is "director" the right option?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

It doesnt matter

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      It doesnt matter
      Actually it can make quite a difference, some occupations have statistically higher risk than others in car crash terms.

Comment

Surely you are employed as a director of a company???
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I used www.quotezone.com this year and reduced my car insurance from 280 pounds with Direct Line to 180 pounds approx. with Swiftcover(on-line insurance) fully comp which included protected no-claims.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Actually it can make quite a difference, some occupations have statistically higher risk than others in car crash terms.
            e.g.
            Racing driver
            Footballer
            Boxer

Comment

Journalist
              Sales
              Military (never understood this one, it could be the average age being low)
              Sportsman

All of the occupations listed have risk profiles attached and those can raise or lower or have no effect on the price.

Comment

So it asks me the employed/self employed/director question, and then for my main occupation. I don't really know what's correct... I'm not used to thinking of myself as a director since that's not what I actually do day to day.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Even though my company only exists for the tax benefits...
                  I'll assume you've voluntarily placed yourself inside IR35 then?
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    I'll assume you've voluntarily placed yourself inside IR35 then?
                    I'm not a contractor, I'm a freelancer. My other option is to be self-employed. In which case I would not take a salary and would not be paying company NI contributions or taking dividends. I'm way outside IR35 on just about every factor they list.

Comment

Working...
                    X