• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning SQL Server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning SQL Server

I have a copy of SQL server at home which I want to install so that I can start learning it. What is the best setup to have in terms of boxes and OS installed? My main PC is fairly well specced (4gb fast ram 2tb of storage) and is currently running Vista, but given the disk space I could dual boot it if required. The book I bought suggested using a virtual PC - I have virtual server 2005 also plus various copies of windows server OS.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

no need for the Virtual PC - adds an extra layer of complexity and unless you're planning to go into DBA roles then unnesseccary IMHO.

Install it straight onto the OS, you can install more than one instance if you want multiple database environments.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

One good thing about using Virtual PC is you can close it down and abandon all changes to the virtual disk. Pretty handy when you're experimenting with something and screw it up completely.

Never tried with SQL server though.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

What are you trying to "learn". It's not relevant to the spec as it's fine.

Development, DBA or Reporting?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          no need for the Virtual PC - adds an extra layer of complexity and unless you're planning to go into DBA roles then unnesseccary IMHO.

Install it straight onto the OS, you can install more than one instance if you want multiple database environments.
          As an Oracle bod, I naturally abhore SQL Server. That said, I think if you want to learn it properly, you need Windows Server, or whatever it's called - so maybe VMware/whatever would be the way forward, after all.

Windows Server is free to download and use for (I think) 90 days. I recommend CBT Nuggets CD-ROM courses. I trained myself in SQL Server for about £50 using their stuff & a couple of books.

Comment

I did a similar thing a couple of years ago and my PC's still got various bits of SQL Server on it that I couldn't get rid of - so maybe VPC for that reason.

Comment

Another vote for using a VPC here - if you end up trashing things as you learn then you can just start over again.

You can grab a pre-configured SQL Server 2005 VPC image from Microsoft that'll work for 30 days.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Nice link. And if it's a proper self-contained image you'll be able to run another one once the 30 days are up. So as long as you can learn enough to do a full db export in 30 days, you're sorted!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Nice link. And if it's a proper self-contained image you'll be able to run another one once the 30 days are up. So as long as you can learn enough to do a full db export in 30 days, you're sorted!
                  Good point - learn that first!
                  Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

VMWare ESXi is free, although you need a spare box to run it:

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/log...FQ-mQwodSzC9XQ

I'm impressed with it, you can build yourself a whole domain if you want to so that you can simulate all sorts of real world situations. Well worth a punt at the price

Comment

Working...
                    X