• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank shares

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank shares

So is anyone taking a punt on HBOS / RBS / Barclays?

Last edited by Torran; 16 September 2008, 12:26.

Comment

I took a punt during the last panic, I nearly sold last week for a small profit but now it looks like I'm in for the long term

HBOS have the most dodgy loans out there but the others could get in trouble if things get bad. If things don't get that bad then you are quids in.

Comment

I would not touch bank shares with a bargepole. HMG/BofE could move in at any time, take over, and shaft shareholders, as they have tried to do with Northern Rock. The credit-crunch is now escalating as interbank rates are rising today.

Comment

Have been in and out of Barclays a few times recently and done OK. Personally I think they'll come out of this quite strongly as they seem to be in a position to go foraging for tit-bits whilst other banks are having fire sales.

HBOS looks dodgy at the moment. Bot overly sure why though (big exposure to UK property market but not a lot of diversification).
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

All banks are based on a con trick whereby:

outgoings (lending) > incomings (deposits)

This con requires confidence to make it work.
            Once confidence goes, all bets are off.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
              HBOS looks dodgy at the moment. Bot overly sure why though (big exposure to UK property market but not a lot of diversification).

Market sentiment
              . Nothing fundamental
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Market sentiment
                . Nothing fundamental
                Good reading though!!

Comment

Piled in yesterday £7500 on Barc at 287 and £7500 on HBOS at 182

Didnt sell yesterday so will have to hold on for the ride
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Market sentiment
                    . Nothing fundamental

I would not trust any of these reports. None of us really knows what is hidden in the figures, what is kept secret(a law was brought in earlier this year to cover up what is going on!!) and what is going on behind closed doors. All we know is that most banks are in trouble. The BofE released another 20 Billion pounds today which was oversubscribed

Comment

Working...
                    X