• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Default Swaps & Lehman Collapse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Default Swaps & Lehman Collapse

Anybody heard who the big losers were after the Lehman collapse in the CDS markets?

News wires have been remarkably quite about it, but I'd have thought the exposure worldwide was massive?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Anybody heard who the big losers were after the Lehman collapse in the CDS markets?

News wires have been remarkably quite about it, but I'd have thought the exposure worldwide was massive?

Nobody knows. The CDS markets are only a few years old and yet to experience anything resembling even a mildly wobbly patch.

Comment

lehman

Lehman was counterparty in 750 bln USD of derivatives, among them CDS, CDOs and such
      In the world there are 50 trillion of CDS in circulation
      there was talk of various bank exposures to lehman assets (bonds, equity, derivatives) from various fund and banks today

There was an emergency meeting of ISDA on sunday for netting CDS positions (to avoid disruptions as much as possible)

Comment

of the 750bln citibank were the biggest with ~150bln

data was in torygraph this morning.

there was no division into asset types though.

Comment

Didn't JP Morgan have a load of CDS on the books and didn't they sell them off temporarily or permanently just to get them off their books when profit announcements were coming out ?

Comment

Working...
          X