• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

D-Day - New Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D-Day - New Contract

Well, 10 days into a new contract and have been working from home. First day gave a remit, on what they wanted, screen designs etc, re-writing a VB6 app into .NET Framework. Hence I have be utilising generic lists, LINQ to XML etc, cool things in .NET 3, way to go forward.

I have to present to them what I have done to date, tomorrow, I'm chuffed but the end client could think, umm, is that all you have done or they could be overwhelmeled. They have no .net experience. Wish me luck for 3:00pm tomorrow, great working from home but no feedback from other coders, miss the interaction, yet very commited.

Don't take the p*ss fellow contractors but worked my butt off today, charging client 7.5 hours yet did 11, to get app spanking.

Will let you know, nervous !!!

Good luck! Know the feeling. Madness not to charge the extra hours unless you're on days though - put your feet up/lie in on Thursday morning at client cost without guilt.

Comment

Yep, on day rate... it does work out and yes... if they like what they see, I will be very happy and believe me I will put my feet up. Yet, albeit mercenary I think we have pride in the apps we develop, word of mouth recommendations, nature of contracting.

Comment

Having spent 5 years working from my own office on fixed price work with multiple clients, I think you may have "shot your bolt a tad early".

In other words, the client may expect this rate of output and more from your efforts from now on.

The very fact you work from home "sans interruption avec le après midi branlette" should produce great fruits from your labour. But I agree, it's a fine art and congrats, you are "working from home" in the first place, but shiver ye not, ye have done cracking.

Just gauge the client's reaction - the last thing you want is to start working 11 hours a day when you are being paid a daily rate based on 7.5. Fixed price contract? Then no problems.

The great thing about a fixed price contract with a fixed deadline is that you can be slightly more flexible with your work rate, compared with the "need you visible at your desk" mentality you sometimes get at a client's office.

To be honest, it makes no difference to the client eventually - they just need to know the job is getting done and their arse is covered.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          Having spent 5 years working from my own office on fixed price work with multiple clients, I think you may have "shot your bolt a tad early".

In other words, the client may expect this rate of output and more from your efforts from now on.
          Scale back some of the functionality - quick!
          Or when presenting, if they're bowled over initially, skip some functionality in the second half (few bugs left to sort there...) Then get yourself ahead of the game.

Just kidding - good point well made by HD though.

Comment

It's reasonable on a new contract with an unknown quantity client and unusual (for you) for you to over deliver a bit on a first delivery.

Just manage the customers expectations and it will work out fine.

As a PM I'm used to seeing this and I certainly don't expect Developers to produce work at a constant rate, there are always peaks and troughs. For that matter if the delivery rate is constant I tend to be a bit suspicious.

Comment

Working...
            X