• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is your money safe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your money safe?

Anybody know the legal position for business bank accounts? I know the government guarantees the first 35£k for personal accounts but what protection do you get on a business bank account. If my business bank goes tits up what happens to cash in the account??

Yep, mines still under the mattress. Thanks for asking.

Comment

oh - that reminds me I have and a Halifax IF ISA, may be I should withdraw the money?

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
        oh - that reminds me I have and a Halifax IF ISA, may be I should withdraw the money?
        No, you should not. Under £35k it's protected.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          yeh protected - but will I be able to get it out when I need it?

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
            yeh protected - but will I be able to get it out when I need it?
            Well, you haven't needed until now - what's the rush? And yes, that's the general idea of your money being protected, you can get it when you want it.

It's folk like you that brought down NR the last time.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

No one even knows if this £35K protection would actually pay out in reality if 10,000,000 savers all demand £35,000 in hard cash tomorrow, and how many years down the line you would receive your compensation. My guess it would take 50 yrs to get the payout.

Comment

Well, you haven't needed until now - what's the rush? And yes, that's the general idea of your money being protected, you can get it when you want it.

It's folk like you that brought down NR the last time.
                Actually my accountant told me many of his clients were not able to get their ISAs money out and suffered - at the time I didn't ask hiem about which ISAs/companies he is talking about cuz I didn't feel the Halifax was in any danger.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  No one even knows if this £35K protection would actually pay out in reality if 10,000,000 savers all demand £35,000 in hard cash tomorrow, and how many years down the line you would receive your compensation. My guess it would take 50 yrs to get the payout.
                  Where are people who have large 6 figures savings, even 7 figure sums keeping their money? I would be papping myself with the current crisis and only being protected for 35k.

Comment

national savings

make sure all accounts < 35k

gold + silver (of course)

Comment

Working...
                    X