• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google

I was reading a news article generally about Google, saying that the only company Microsoft fears is Google.

Do you think Google will one day end up offering something like Google Linux ? instant download and install from your browser and bang, new OS installed, existing data and documents migrated, all keyed around search, information retrieval, smart folder systems, instant messaging, voice over IP, email, rss feeds, blogging, maps, directories of online information etc?

That would scare the tulip out of old Bill no?

Do you think this is something Google might consider?

I think it's highly likely, bearing in mind their forays in other areas such as the mapping project.

By the way, do any of the congregation use Linux on their home PCs (for non-work use)?
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Well according to reports in the US Google is building its own secret broadband network. I can see why Microsoft is running scared.
      Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong
        I think it's highly likely, bearing in mind their forays in other areas such as the mapping project.

By the way, do any of the congregation use Linux on their home PCs (for non-work use)?
        In my home office I have several servers / PCs (Win2k3/XP) but only one Linux box (Debain) used for a firewall, soon if I can pull my finger out for web hosting and email...
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong
          Is there any reason why I would want to?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            Is there any reason why I would want to?
            I'm not trying to open a Windows vs. Open Source debate. I like to keep an eye on the 'opposition' from time to time. Just interested to see how many among the panel have dabbled and what were their opinions if they had.

I had a look at Xandros v3 at the weekend. Very easy to install, easy to use, full range of 'home use' apps. Sets up network, internet and printers automatically. Seems a nice distro for Joe Public Home-User. Following on from DimPrawns' question about Google Linux, if this kind of "easy OS" was on offer for download/auto-install, Bill would definately loose a sizeable chunk of the SOHO maket share.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

I've dabbled with Mandrake and Gentoo at home.

Mandrake 9.2 and 10.0 was sooo easy to install but unfortunatly they got it a bit wrong for hardware support so gave up on it.

Gentoo (Linux for sado nerds) a right pain in the 'arris to install but flies when you get there. If I was to use it as a server mail, firewall... then I'd definatly choose Gentoo as you can exclude the clutter from the install.
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                I've dabbled with Mandrake and Gentoo at home.

Mandrake 9.2 and 10.0 was sooo easy to install but unfortunatly they got it a bit wrong for hardware support so gave up on it.

Gentoo (Linux for sado nerds) a right pain in the 'arris to install but flies when you get there. If I was to use it as a server mail, firewall... then I'd definatly choose Gentoo as you can exclude the clutter from the install.
                I run Suse 9.3 on a dual boot P4(HT) box and they still don't have decent drivers for ATI Graphics Cards!

Comment

Re:

What's interesting is the MS are scared of someone who is using a completely different approach. All this crap about MS's monoply of the market...and now a new angle on things and a serious competitor is going to make a challenge.

I work with MS, but it will definately be interesting times ahead. It's good for IT to keep the innovation going. Lets just up that when the twain shall meet both companies make an effort to keep to whatever standards are around or may arise. Of course MS are guilty in this aspect with IE, but let's see where the future takes us...

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
                    Lets just up that when the twain shall meet both companies make an effort to keep to whatever standards are around or may arise.
                    Speak English!

Why do you think people should be bothered to decode the crap that you post? Show some fecking consideration!

Comment

Working...
                    X