• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dragons Den

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragons Den

Couple of questions.

a) These guys throwing around 100K here and there is like me or you lending a tenner to a collegue to go and buy lunch. So they sit there and pick out all the good idea and essentially make the guy with the plan a salaried worker. Whats in it for anybody to actually accept one of their deals?

b) If the panel are all multimillionaires, why are they doing DD? I thought this kind of thing was for broke celebs looking to make a fast buck.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    Couple of questions.

a) These guys throwing around 100K here and there is like me or you lending a tenner to a collegue to go and buy lunch. So they sit there and pick out all the good idea and essentially make the guy with the plan a salaried worker. Whats in it for anybody to actually accept one of their deals?

b) If the panel are all multimillionaires, why are they doing DD? I thought this kind of thing was for broke celebs looking to make a fast buck.
    a) you still get to keep equity in your business. Your business will (hopefully) do better because of the Dragons involvement/contacts/ideas so you get your money sooner.

b) kick and giggles I imagine, that and the pursuit of even more money.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

DD want cheap publicity and they hate "investing" any money - that's why they offer very small amounts of money (like 50 grand, wtf?) for huge parts of companies - 30-40%, the idea being that handful of those that they'd offer the money (they have to do it from time to time) would reject it.

One thing they hate is founder getting any money personally from those that they "invest" - so they'd expect you to continue working for free even if they invest money into your company.

All in all the only tangible value in this program is to get some free publicity - that's the only reason people go on this program to be humiliated, not exactly my kettle of fish.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

All in all the only tangible value in this program is to get some free publicity - that's the only reason people go on this program to be humiliated, not exactly my kettle of fish.

I think they have a very sharp nose for what works and what doesn't.
        It would be good for you to be exposed to this - but yes you would be humiliated. Purely because they don't suffer fools gladly.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I think they have a very sharp nose for what works and what doesn't.
          They don't - it is obvious from scores of big successes of people they snubbed. It's not suprising because their main goal there is to PR themselves rather than risk any of their money. Those guys would not think twice about buying £40-50k bottle of sparkling wine, but they would fk over the guy who needs that much in exchange for 30-40% share in his company.

It would be good for you to be exposed to this - but yes you would be humiliated. Purely because they don't suffer fools gladly.
          I don't think so. Why would I need their pathetic £50-70k for 30/40% of business anyway? The amounts they handle are laughable - that show is just that - show, not serious investment.

Comment

First & foremost, they each want their ego stroking.

But, in fairness, what they do is the same as any business "angel" does: looks to make a return with low risk. Sure, the business owner loses equity, but 50% of a lot is better than 100% of f--k all. Banks are risk-averse (especially now!), so for the struggling entrepreneur, an angel is probably the best bet. They're in it to make money, so fair play to 'em.

Comment

Why don't you go on anyway and ask for something impossible?
              If anything they'll give you a reality check about business and you'll get free publicity.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
                Couple of questions.

They are fabulously wealthy, but, until DD, who'd even heard of them? Even the mega-wealthy set, it seems, has its share of Lizzy Bardsleys i.e. wannabes.

Comment

Why don't you go on anyway and ask for something impossible?
                  I will consider doing it AFTER I become sufficiently wealthy not to care about it, and the whole objective would be to humiliate them. I would probably have to hire someone else to do that as I don't like lieing in people's faces.

If anything they'll give you a reality check about business and you'll get free publicity.
                  I don't need reality check, my business is doing pretty well right now - big things are happening and they should materialise soon, when this happens (this side of Xmas it seems) you'd see that DD option is really not an option for me.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I don't need reality check, my business is doing pretty well right now - big things are happening and they should materialise soon, when this happens (this side of Xmas it seems) you'd see that DD option is really not an option for me.
                    I wish you luck and hope it is true. However I have to say that your judgement as displayed on this board does not inspire confidence.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X