• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Russia's not doing to well either

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russia's not doing to well either

Financial Times

"Russian bourses halt trading for second day

Russia’s two main bourses, RTS and MICEX, said on Wednesday they were suspending trade until further notice from the state’s main market regulator as shares continued to tumble one day after their steepest decline in more than a decade."
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

I assume it's linked to wider world issues but the 'elected' government have started taking the p*ss a bit and assuming they can get away with it USSR style. Hopefully foreign money starting to flee will make them behave a bit better.

Comment

They did not appear to have reopened the stock exchange at 5pm local time (there), I would not be too suprised if it stays closed tomorrow or even full week. That's typical for regimes of that kind - you can take money in but it might be very hard to take money out.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I would not be too suprised if it stays closed tomorrow or even full week.
        hehe, Russian stock exchange remains shutdown until at least Friday - they might not even dare open it on that day either.

Comment

They can keep them shut for as long as they want, you can write and complain to Putin if you like.
          What did you think happened last week here in London for a whole day? Sorry, it was an 'IT failure'.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
            What did you think happened last week here in London for a whole day? Sorry, it was an 'IT failure'.
            It was not complete day shutdown - I think it was a failure, especially given who developed all that stuff.

But you are right about Russia - the whole stock market there is a scam that works one way: as soon as you want to take money out you might not be able to unless you are friends with the people who actually run the country.

Comment

Working...
            X