• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to start contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to start contracting?

I want to start contracting at some point in the future (not now). What should I read and where do I start?

I particularly want to know how to find out what sort of skills employers are looking for, while I can get the cv buffed up.

This link will help

http://www.contractoruk.com/first_timers/index.html

Read it well, understand it, and use the search facility, you will find most of your basic questions have been answered already, and the tollerance levels on here are quite low

Comment

agreed

do your own research and plenty of it, ask questions that show you've attempted to find the answer but need some clarification etc.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

The one thing you really need to do, (that a lot of people who go into contracting don't from the various conversations I have had with various colleagues I have worked with) is make sure you understand what sort of legal situation you are getting yourself into and the associated ramifications.

Most people I talk to do not really understand what IR35 is and just say they are outside it because they "don't want to pay more tax". They also do not understand the concept of running a business and a few have complained to me about how unfair it is that they are not getting paid quick enough in their eyes.

Many don't really understand the fact that there is a chain of contracts between them and the end client, and that the longer this chain is the more at risk you are. I had one guy ask me why I didn't use an Umbrella, so I explained that in my chain only the end client and the agency can go bankrupt resulting in no money for me, whereas for him there is another company in the chain which makes his funds even less secure. He refused to believe that he would not get paid if one of the companies in the chain went tits up......

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for taking the time out to help me.

Comment

Working...
          X