• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market books

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock market books

I admit i know very little but the extreme basics about stocks, shares etc.

I am curious about how it works though and would appreciate if the panel would recommend some books to begin to read up on the subject for a complete beginner..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

There is a requirement for Exchange traders that they can analyse a set of company accounts in 10 minutes. This isn't difficult to learn and you should be familiar with it. How to evaluate the P&L and balance sheet, and key ratios for liquidity, p/e ratio etc. You'll find them in most accounting books, as it is standard.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      I admit i know very little but the extreme basics about stocks, shares etc.

I am curious about how it works though and would appreciate if the panel would recommend some books to begin to read up on the subject for a complete beginner..
      I know nothing about trading, but I do see a few ads on the Tube for trading courses. They may be a good bet - see if any are rated on the Web. Any decent course will have a list of books worth buying. I suspect that it's one of those things that does benefit from face-to-face tutoring.

Comment

Try this

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...ket+book&meta=

Comment

Reference

They are a bit annoying but the Motley Fool I think (www.fool.co.uk) is quite a good starting point, although last time I read it was geared for the "good times".

They have a few books out which explain everythign in laymans terms.

IMHO, unless you work in the industry there is not really that much more to understand than that.
          There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

<SARCASM> thanks, working in IT I never thought of typing the obvious into google </SARCASM>

i was kinda hoping for recommendations of books on trading that people have read and would recommend reading rather than walking into the nearest bookshop and picking up the first introduction to the stock market book i see..
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

The key thing about investing in stocks if you want to do it yourself is to subscribe to a reputable equity research provider, like Standard & Poor. These give you a good overview of the markets, and what sectors and individual stocks to invest in.

ww.ft.com provides excellent snapshots of most international stocks. Just put in the name of the company and you can see the median of the target price from several analysts.

This is an excellent check, as you should never invest in a stock with an average of a "sell" recommendation.

A lot of stocks will have one analyst with sell but provided on average it is outperform or buy then they're worth investing in.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                This is an excellent check, as you should never invest in a stock with an average of a "sell" recommendation.

A lot of stocks will have one analyst with sell but provided on average it is outperform or buy then they're worth investing in.
                Bollux.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Take out a subscription to moneyweek.com - absolutely great magazine which combines the best of the financial press into a small magazine each week. Their insight is usually spot on. Most of the crystal ball reading turns out to be true 12 - 24 months down the line. They predicted the housing price crash 2 years ago and recommended selling houses and renting. They predicted the big spikes in OIl, Gold and Silver etc. I know these were fairly easy to predict but for an investment novice it offers great guidance and its enabled me to make pretty good investment choices over the last few years.

Comment

At the height of the last boom I was looking at stocks recommended in the Investors Chronical and elsewhere, and even wrote an app. to download share prices from Teletext for analysis. I never invested any money, just wanted to take a look on paper. It turned out that on average their buy recommendations turned a profit after a few days, but only if you bought on or before the day of publication, because the prices would soon drop again to make it not worth it. I may have been able to turn a bit of a profit if I'd been able to get hold of a copy of the issue before it hit the stands, but never managed/tried it. The guys pushing these recommendations could have made money even if there was no value in the stock IMO.

But overall aren't these 'experts' little better than monkeys throwing darts at a stock dartboard on average?

Comment

Working...
                    X