• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expert German translation question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expert German translation question

Translate "vivarium", as in a wooded box thing with glass doors to keep a lizard in.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Vivarium in German is vivarium. Well according to BabelFish anyway.

Comment

Oddly enough, two places says it's "vivarium", but the real English/German dictionary gives four options as belowSearch results for -- Suchergebnisse für 'vivarium':
      And we always thought German was such a precise language!
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The vivarium here in Darmstadt is actually a small zoo and rather a pleasant one at that.

Vivarium Darmstadt
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You would probably have to specify the animal to be housed.

Do you need a Viv, I know a lot of herpatologists in the UK who build them. I could ask around. I may even find you one in Germany.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I strongly disapprove of keeping lizards in little boxes.

I ate the last person who tried to do that to me.
            One tends to use the right size box with all the creature comforts (you have to look after them you know), obviously it would be a detached 4 bedroom with garden and garage for your good self.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              One tends to use the right size box with all the creature comforts (you have to look after them you know), obviously it would be a detached 4 bedroom with garden and garage for your good self.
              Plus a Charles Clarke control order, tagging, and an ASBO for good measure.

Comment

Vivarium is vivarium in German. Although you might be better using the word "Tiergehege" (generally meaning pet enclosure) when referring to the animal in question, such as a lizard.

"Tiergehege für die Eidechse" - Would be what most Germans would understand as a vivarium I reckon.

Comment

Working...
                X