• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AtW's Book

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AtW's Book

Inspired by Mr Shoes in a previous thread, I think we should all have the opportunity to ghost-write AtW's soon-to-be-bestselling autobiography:

'Dances with Squirrels'

Chapter 1 - The Early Years

Hello dear reader. My name is Alexi and I am fiendish coder and all round expert in many many subjects - especially economics.

This is the first page of my fascinating, best-selling biography which I hope you will like very much. It was so lucky of you to find it by rummaging around in the the 33 for 1 shelf at Waterstones.

Who would have though that I, Alexi, a poor peasant boy from Belarus would one day invent the incredible SKA and have Serge Brin polishing my Primark casual slip-ons with his tongue?

I was born in Minsk in 1965 to two dreary peasants of indeterminate gender. The pregnancy was state-sponsored in a drive to breed more geniuses. As you can see, I am living testament to this far-sighted initiative.

The geography of Minsk was formed during the two most recent Ice Ages. The Svislach river, which flows across the city from the northwest to the southeast. There are no squirrels in Minsk.

Momski and Papski toiled in the potato fields for 23 hours a day and had little time to devote to their beloved Alexi.

I, however, flourished and soon become the class swot at the Minsk Academy for the Outstandingly Self-Important (sorry, there is no exact English Translation).

Even at that tender age, I had a dream! A dream that just had to be realised and fulfilled.

One afternoon, I visited the childrens' section of Minsk Public Library. Suddenly, something caught my eye. It was a picture book, with a strange, furry arboreal rodent on the cover.

I will never forget it. The title was 'Samski the Naughty Squirrel' (but in Cyrillic).

I stood there open mouthed. Transfixed to the spot.

Suddenly I realised my destiny.

I would become the greatest squirrelologist in history.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

I think you missed the bit where he was dropped on the head - but even so I await chapter 2 with baited breath.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      would become the greatest squirrelologist in history.
      Maybe I have already achieved that.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Maybe I have already achieved that.
        I think you should contribute Chapter 2

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          I think you should contribute Chapter 2
          Is that the bit where he serves time in Borstal for squirrel bothering?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Is that the bit where he serves time in Borstal for squirrel bothering?
            Yep.

I sneaked this from the proofs...

CHAPTERS

1. The Early Years
            2. The Dark Years
            3. The Barren Years
            4. Mister Majolica and His Mysterious Porcupine
            5. The Wilderness Years
            6. In the Drey of Samski Squirrel
            7. Enlightenment
            8. Orgasm
            9. Dissapointment
            10. Enui
            11. The CUK Forum - A life line?
            12. Shame and Ridicule
            13. The Slaying of Likeley
            14. Forward into Majesty

etc.

Comment

On a more serious note, I would love to read the true life story of AtW.
              I'm sure it would make interesting reading. Especially the early years.

From communal Russia to Capitalist England. The culture shock must have been tremendous.
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                The culture shock must have been tremendous.

CUK

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  On a more serious note, I would love to read the true life story of AtW.
                  I'm sure it would make interesting reading. Especially the early years.

From communal Russia to Capitalist England. The culture shock must have been tremendous.
                  That is true - but luckily he lives in Birmingham where the only culture is found in the yoghurts. When they are not eating crisps that is.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    That is true - but luckily he lives in Birmingham where the only culture is found in the yoghurts. When they are not eating crisps that is.
                    The only thing he must have lost is the difference in natural beauty between Siberia and the midlands.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X