• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you had purchased £1000 of Northern Rock stock one year ago

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you had purchased £1000 of Northern Rock stock one year ago

it would be worth £4.95 today.

With HBOS, you would have £16.50 left of the original £1000.

With XL Leisure, you would have less than a fiver.

And if you had purchased £1000 of Seguro Air Lines stock, you would have a measly 49p.

However, if you had purchased £1000 worth of Tennent's Lager one year ago, drank the lot of it, then re-cycled the cans at an aluminium plant for a cash refund, you would have £214.

And so, based on the above information, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

And if you had purchased £1000 of Seguro Air Lines stock, you would have a measly 49p.

However, if you had purchased £1000 worth of Tennent's Lager one year ago, drank the lot of it, then re-cycled the cans at an aluminium plant for a cash refund, you would have £214.

And so, based on the above information, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

How did you calculate that? £165.00 maybe.

Comment

Why not buy some tasteless crap from Lidl. Might make a profit on the srcap value alone, and pour the rest of the muck down the drain.

Comment

When I bought 1000 pounds of Marconi I ended up, a year later, with 20 pence.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            Why not buy some tasteless crap from Lidl. Might make a profit on the srcap value alone, and pour the rest of the muck down the drain.

I found this review of Tesco Value Larger ages ago. I was going to buy some myself and do a review prior to this but I just couldn't face it.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

And if you had invested the whole lot in put options?

Harry Hindsight is always right.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

I found this review of Tesco Value Larger ages ago. I was going to buy some myself and do a review prior to this but I just couldn't face it.
                Larger?

Does it make you grow bigger as you drink it?

Comment

Wrong!! There is a judicial review in January on Northern Rock to challenge HMG's compensation criteria, which states that valuation would be on a basis that they were bust, and without BofE lending!! Remember, 14 Billion of the borrowing was because of a bank run instigated by the BofE/HMG/Robert Peston(allegedly), and the Rock has already repaid 10 Billion.
                  In addition, there were two offers on the table to buy the Rock(Branson and the management team... it would have been more but HMG insisted loans were repaid by 2010, a stipulation that has been placed on no other banks, and which has now been relaxed under nationalisation)!! Bearing in mind that the BofE has since lent well over 100 Billion to other banks under the Special Liquidity Scheme, methinks they have a good case, as the Rock has been quite clearly victimised.
                  Valuation of the Rock at time of Nationalisation could be as much as 4 quid a share.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                    When I bought 1000 pounds of Marconi I ended up, a year later, with 20 pence.

tim
                    When I bought 1000 pounds of Macaroni I ended up, a year later, with indigestion.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X