• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Coffee Machine?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Coffee Machine?

See the poll
    Tassimo
    12.50%
    Cafe Dolce
    0.00%
    Senseo
    6.25%
    AndyW personally grinds my coffee with his balls of granite
    81.25%
    Coffee's for closers

None of the above.

Get yourself a Baby Gaggia Dose, which can take both grounds and pods, and make your own brews "Barista Style".

You'll be making truly excellent coffee in no time and you CAN taste the difference.

The machines you mentioned are nothing more than glorified drink dispensers. Their coffee may taste "OK" but what would you prefer :

"OK coffee" or "Feth me, that's amazing coffee" ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      None of the above.

Get yourself a Baby Gaggia Dose, which can take both grounds and pods, and make your own brews "Barista Style".

You'll be making truly excellent coffee in no time and you CAN taste the difference.

The machines you mentioned are nothing more than glorified drink dispensers. Their coffee may taste "OK" but what would you prefer :

"OK coffee" or "Feth me, that's amazing coffee" ?
      CUK Forum Answer of the day

Good answer and you got to the core of why I'm asking.. current "coffee" maker is rather dissappointing
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Thank you !

I was in the same position last year, thinking about getting a coffee machine.

I weighed up all the options, and tried out the brews from the above machines. I spent weeks agonising on what to get, the merits of each, etc until I reached "analysis paralysis".

Then I spotted a Gaggia shop and went inside and had a hands-on play with a few machines, making different brews, etc. I was in there for 2 hours, and the staff were unfailingly helpful and polite.

The coffee WAS amazing, and hence, my decision was made. I've never looked back.

I'd suggest if you want to try out machines, a Gaggia shop will let you go play and ask questions, and of course try product.

Happy Hunting !
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Cheers BGG - I've also been thinking of picking up a decent coffee machine for a while. The location of current ClientCo means I don't walk past any good coffee shops on my way into the office, and I've been making do with a caffetiere to produce that early morning cuppa.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I got the Tassimo a few months back, bit of a compulsive purchase and not impressed by the coffee at all, hence the poll.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Any good Italian professional make will do. New small one is about £1k (Large about £3k), I got mine for £300 from a closed down coffee shop. Don’t skimp on the bean quality and keep both the frothier jug and milk as cold as possible before use. It took me about 60 coffees to practice to get it right. Now it’s fine first time every time but the problem is when you go out for a coffee and see it being f&^ed up by some nerd at Starbucks or Nero; you feel like telling them their job.

PS: what makes a good coffee is good water quality (filtered) and the high water pressure forced through the beans.
              Last edited by Paddy; 21 September 2008, 12:28.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

PS: what makes a good coffee is good water quality (filtered) and the high water pressure forced through the beans.
                Agreed. I always use filtered water and you need at least a 15 bar pressure machine to get the crema correct.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

AndyW personally grinds my coffee with his balls of granite
                  butt cheeks
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    .. but the problem is when you go out for a coffee and see it being f&^ed up by some nerd at Starbucks or Nero; you feel like telling them their job. ..
                    Happened to me last week in a service station on the M4. After asking for a tea, I watched as the gormless girl poured hot water into a giant cold mug (which must have cooled it down about 10 degrees in a second), then poured in some milk, and finally dropped in a tea bag which not surprisingly didn't brew at all. I had to ask her to tip it away and start again without the milk.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X