• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian IT firms bring 11,000 migrants to UK a year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian IT firms bring 11,000 migrants to UK a year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...UK-a-year.html

Just six firms, all based in India, recruited a total of 11,644 immigrants to work for them in the UK in 2006, the most recent figure available.

The Home Office figures, released to The Sunday Telegraph after a two-year Freedom of Information battle, brought claims from a trade union that employers are "abusing" the work permit system.

Peter Skyte, national officer of the Unite union, said: "It may be that there are skill needs that can be filled by overseas workers but this should not be at the expense of resident workers.

"Questions need to be asked about how this is happening and whether companies are using the current work permits system to undercut pay rates in the UK."

Over a seven-year period, the six companies -- Tata Consultancy Services, Wipro, Mahindra-BT, Mastek, Infosys Technologies and Satyam Computer Services -- were granted work permits to bring 47,000 foreign nationals into the UK. Their annual total has climbed steadily every year since 2000 and has doubled since 2003.

The majority are thought to have been Indian nationals. The Home Office could not say how many have settled in the UK and how many have returned to their homeland.

The largest single sponsor of foreign workers was Tata, which secured permits for just under 4,000 foreign workers in 2006 compared with less than 1,600 in 2000.

Much of the work of the six companies involves outsourcing, where British companies or public-sector organisations bring in a separate company to operate their computer system.

Unite criticised the potential for abuse of the work permits system, particularly "intra company transfers" which allow employees based abroad to move to a UK office.

In some cases, companies have brought staff from India to Britain to learn about operations such as call-centres, before shutting down the British businesses and moving the staff back to India to replicate the operation there.

The system by which foreign workers come to Britain is due for radical reform later this year when the Home Office launches an Australian-style points-based system, by which foreigners will have to show they have qualifications and experience in a profession where

But Mr Skyte said concerns remained. "There are serious questions about whether the points-based system will address some of the loopholes that we believe are in the current arrangements," he said.

"We don't know whether it will stop all of the abuse that is taking place."

Salary figures reveal that British IT workers earned an average of £35,000 a year in 2006 while two-thirds of foreign-born employees in the same sector were paid under £30,000 a year.

In a report entitled The impact of the work permit scheme on IT professionals in the UK, Mr Skyte wrote: "The question needs to be asked whether the skills represented in these figures are not availabe in the UK, which would be a justifiable use of the work permit system, or whether these companies are bringing in non-resident work permit holders at below going pay rates in the UK, which would not."

The figures include both employees on short-term and long-term work permits. Immigrants who live and work in Britain for five years continuously without getting into trouble with the law have the right to apply for permanent settlement rights, which are usually granted.

<cue the send em all home brigade>

My ex-company outsourced whole (90%) IT department to Tata using TUPE thingy - working conditions are not changed... for a few months I suppose

Those companies are sure abusing the system en masse - what annoys me more is that they provide terrible services and get away with it

Comment

I, a British Citizen, am currently being treated like a criminal by the Foreign Office trying to get my wife a spousal visa indefinate leave to remain.

...there is so much fraud they say - we may have a fake British child and live in a fake british house with fake medical insurance. FFS!! its for the protection of our borders !!!

...and what gripes me most if that the entry clearence officer is American NOT British and works for the Foreign Office in NYC.

...with 2 million on the dole why the F are they employing Americans? - I have nowt against Americans but I sincerely doubt an American would have a Brit judging their visa application.

...and in the UK immigration rules it says that the UK HAS to accept a *telephone marriage* if it exists in the country from where the application is made. Now thats a world gone mad (with the exception of soldiers at war).

(please no jokes about couldn't get married to a telephone as she was engaged...v.funny)

Comment

(please no jokes about couldn't get married to a telephone as she was engaged...v.funny)
        Depends on whether she was sending out the right signals ?
        When you first met, did you get a good reception ?
        Do you have a mobile replationship or long-distance ?

IGMC
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          Depends on whether she was sending out the right signals ?
          When you first met, did you get a good reception ?
          Do you have a mobile replationship or long-distance ?

IGMC

"mobile replationship" sounds interesting
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

ooops...
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Hand on heart, etc., I would have to say that, on average, most Indian Temporary coworkers I have encountered would score about 4/10 in competency tests; their non-Indian Temporary counterparts (i.e. you lot and me) about 8/10. Having said that, the best IT bod I ever worked with was Indian.

Thing is, they are cheap as chips, and that's the thing that matters.

Comment

Funny how rates have been stagnant for the same period isn't it.

Well they have been in my sector.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                  Funny how rates have been stagnant for the same period isn't it.

Well they have been in my sector.
                  rates in IBs have not moved for about 8-9 years now.

Comment

Working...
                  X