• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alistair Darling promises not to raise taxes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alistair Darling promises not to raise taxes

Link: Telegraph

However, the left of his party wants a 45% tax bracket on > £175,000

I think that nuLieBore should introduce a 60% tax rate on everything above £30,000.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

What a larf - this is just like when John Major had "no plans" to put up VAT but then did, and introduced a raft of new taxes insurance premium tax, airport departure tax..........

What goes around comes around.

Comment

A bit like a burglar who has removed everything nickable, even the gold fillings from yer teeth, to pipe up with, "I won't steal anything else from you.".

Comment

NL and TB promised not to up income tax. IIRC.
        A promise they stuck too. They have introduced 100s of other stealth taxes and by leaving thresholds alone they have effectively brought more people into higher brackets.

Just wonder what sort of weasel words and spin they will use for the new/alternative taxes they introduce. Road pricing? Congestion charging? Pay per [insert service name here]?
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I'm pretty sure Labour won't raise any existing taxes.

They'll just create a whole set of new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

Link: Telegraph

However, the left of his party wants a 45% tax bracket on > £175,000
            If you're making > £175,000 then you can afford to pay a bit more tax.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              NL and TB promised not to up income tax. IIRC.
              A promise they stuck too. They have introduced 100s of other stealth taxes and by leaving thresholds alone they have effectively brought more people into higher brackets.

Just wonder what sort of weasel words and spin they will use for the new/alternative taxes they introduce. Road pricing? Congestion charging? Pay per [insert service name here]?
              They have yet to impose an "In work, no criminal record and already paying your way (and for the easy lifestyle of layabout benefits toerags)" tax.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                If you are making more than 175K you need a better accountant to 'prove' that you don't.

-----------

Forgot this link. Times: Taxes will soar in credit crisis

TAXPAYERS in Britain face up to 5p in the pound in extra taxes because of the credit crunch created by the banks, leading economists have warned.

After a week of unprecedented financial turmoil, they predict that government borrowing is about to surge as the Treasury’s tax take is slashed by a slump in earnings from the City and the downturn.

Leading forecasters say the government will soon be forced to borrow as much as £100 billion a year, giving Britain easily the biggest budget deficit of any western country.

Any tax rises would come on top of increases imposed by Gordon Brown when he was chancellor. He repeatedly raised indirect “stealth” taxes while leaving income tax unchanged. Taxes went up by 3% of national income, equivalent to more than 10p on the basic rate of income tax.
                Well, I they can cover up the evidence of aliens visiting Earth, I am sure that they can cover this up too.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

If I'm making > £175,000 then I'm already paying more tax. That little fact seems to be lost on lefties.

Comment

Most taxes are % based. Therefore those earning more already pay more.

Idiot.

Comment

Working...
                    X