• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking a career break

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a career break

Have any of you lot ever taken a career break?

I'm vaguely considering taking a year or so out.

I don't have a mortgage, a wife or kids.

Quite fancy settling in to a relaxed Spanish class in Buenos Aires for a while, then shagging my way round Thailand for a bit.

Could probably have a class year abroad for less than 15k.

Things is I'm wondered that it will be hard to get back in to a decent job/contract when I come back.

Anyone done it? How did you find it?

Originally posted by DieScum View Post

Are you asking about career breaks, shagging or Spanish classes there?

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
      Have any of you lot ever taken a career break?

I'm vaguely considering taking a year or so out.

I don't have a mortgage, a wife or kids.

Quite fancy settling in to a relaxed Spanish class in Buenos Aires for a while, then shagging my way round Thailand for a bit.

Could probably have a class year abroad for less than 15k.

Things is I'm wondered that it will be hard to get back in to a decent job/contract when I come back.

When does your contract renew? Any chance of an extension?

I personally think the market in a years time will be the same as now. But in 2 years time will be better.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Are you asking about career breaks, shagging or Spanish classes there?
        The expert on career breaks is atW.
        He knows nothing about shagging or Spanish classes though!
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          The expert on career breaks is atW.
          He knows nothing about shagging or Spanish classes though!
          Oi caramba! Voy a romper tu carrera muchacho.

Comment

Career breaks are fine - as long as you can explain it in an impressive way to new employers...

Comment

I generally have 6 months off every 3 years. When it comes to a new gig theres no explanation needed beyond, if asked, telling them I had some time off.

Most permie interviewers then tell me how lucky I am and how they wish they could live like that. If I tell them they can, the excuses start flowing like water...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I had one in the last recession, it was bloody brilliant.

Count on it costing about £1000 a month (give or take) if you don't want to deny yourself anything.

I'd be more inclined to skip Thailand and just go to Central/Southern America. Mexico city has some great language schools, as does Guatemala. On the plus side, there are heaps of fit American chicas at certain times of the year who have come to Mexico for a shag.

Coming back was a bit of a worry, but I came back before I'd completely run out of money and had some cash to support me until I found a couple of contracts.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

sasguru takes 9 months off every now and then. When asked by prospective employer (not client since he is a permie) he says he was pregnant. Everyone believes him since they can see from far away that he is a ***t.

HTH

Comment

Me and Mrs b0redom took 18 months off and travelled around the World. Best thing I ever did. South America is awesome.

The only reason I fell into contracting is that the 1st offer I got when I came back was for a contract, so I'd say, no it won't cause employment problems.
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X