• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ken Clarke, champion the wonder horse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken Clarke, champion the wonder horse

At last credible opposition from the conservatives - Blair's position is extremely vulnerable, it is only the ineptitude of the opposition that has prevented his demise.

Mr Clarke voted against going to war in Iraq in 2003
    Conservative leadership contender Ken Clarke has said Tony Blair made a "catastrophic error" in involving the UK in the war with Iraq.
    The ex-chancellor, who opposed the war, said the reasons given for the UK supporting the war were "bogus".

The war had increased the threat to the UK from Islamic extremists, he said.

If Mr Blair believed there was no connection between his Iraq policy and the London bombs "he must be the only person left who thinks that", he said.

Mr Clarke also warned against "instant legislation" after terrorist attacks.

He said he did not know of any terrorist attack which had been the result of legal failings.

He said he did not know of any terrorist attack which had been the result of legal failings.
    Sensible point though. We live in a more criminal and dangerous period than at any point post 1945 and yet we have an ever increasing array of laws. More legislation is not the answer.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Gary the Gelding sought out the evidence for himself.

Comment

I have always respected KC as politician of conviction , his statements about Iraq and Blair is what, I feel , the vast majority of decent British people know to be true in their hearts.

Good for Ken, I hope for all of our sakes he continues to upset Blair and his chums, as Michael Howard put it so well ...

People in Britain know that there is something wrong with New Labour but have been intimidated into silence ....

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
          At last credible opposition from the conservatives - Blair's position is extremely vulnerable, it is only the ineptitude of the opposition that has prevented his demise.
          I thought how KC spoke in the debate on the war very effectively mirrored my own feelings on the subject.

I thought he was also very effective on C4 news last night. Can't wait to see him wade into Gordon Brown's record as Chancellor

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
            I thought how KC spoke in the debate on the war very effectively mirrored my own feelings on the subject.

I thought he was also very effective on C4 news last night. Can't wait to see him wade into Gordon Brown's record as Chancellor
            I think he'd be great.

But as for the leadership, Europe is too big an issue...

Comment

Working...
            X