• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just a question for a former 'golden boy'...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a question for a former 'golden boy'...

When a contractor applies for a job in finance, eg Investment or Retail Banking, General Insurance or Life/Pensions, the first requirement is 'same-sector experience' so without it he is fooked. Slightly puzzled the same criteria didn't seem to apply to former 'golden-boy' HBOS CE Mr Andy Hornby, formerly of Asda plc (where he regularly used to help stock shelves) and who a lot of his staff and customers currently wish where he carried on working or hopefully ends up his career - however and although initially not promised one, he succeeded in getting a seat in the proposed combined Lloyds TSB/HBOS board and £2m worth of new shares. I've seen him on TV and he looks like a good salesman - unfortunately the only thing he was selling was himself and not his bank's/customers'/staff's interests.
    Last edited by Dow Jones; 22 September 2008, 14:07. Reason: grammar!

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    When a contractor applies for a job in finance, eg Investment or Retail Banking, General Insurance or Life/Pensions, the first requirement is 'same-sector experience' so without it he is fooked. Slightly puzzled the same criteria didn't seem to apply to former 'golden-boy' HBOS CE Mr Andy Hornby, formerly of Asda plc (where he regularly used to help stock shelves) and who a lot of his staff and customers currently wish he carried on working or hopefully ends up his career - however and although initially not promised one, he succeeded in getting a seat in the proposed combined Lloyds TSB/HBOS board and £2m worth of new shares. I've seen him on TV and he looks like a good salesman - unfortunately the only thing he was selling was himself and not his bank's/customers'/staff's interests.
    Provided he bribed the right people - does it matter?

Comment

HBOS are in Retail, so are ASDA.

I can see how he got his foot in the door...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

When Andy Hornby was headhunted to become head of retail at the Halifax in 1999 he declared: "I don't pretend to know about pricing banking products."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...nhornby218.xml

He did go to Oxford, though so maybe that helped.

It seems he's diversified already

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          HBOS are in Retail, so are ASDA.

I can see how he got his foot in the door...
          HBOS wanted to rollback share prices
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            HBOS wanted to rollback share prices
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
            X