• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

which Home Cinema Receiver and Remote?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which Home Cinema Receiver and Remote?

Ok, hands up, im a gadget geek

It's my birthday coming up and i've decided to treat myself to a new Home Cinema Receiver and to reduce the number of remote's (currently Vista Media Center, sky, tv, receiver) I was also thinking of getting a combined remote that works well and looks great..

I was thinking of the Sony STRDA 5400ES and the KEF IQ range set (2xIQ50's, 4xIQ30, IQ60c, PSW2500) of speakers..

comments and suggestions of a remote?

also, what do you currently have?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

hmm maybe this should be in technical

Comment

At the weekend in PC World I saw a remote that looked like a handheld PC, with a miniature screen and everything. It looked like it could use a remote of its own!

I don't have any suggestions, sorry, but like yourself will look forward to other constructive replies with keen anticipation. What is a cinema receiver BTW?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

"Definition: The Home Cinema/Theater receiver is the heart of a home theater system and provides most, if not all, the inputs and outputs that you connect everything, including your television, into. An AV Receiver provides a way of centralizing your your home theater system.

A Home Theater Receiver usually combines the functions of three components:

1. A radio tuner for AM/FM and, in some cases, HD (High Definition Radio) or XM-Satellite Radio.

2. A Preamplifier that switches and controls which audio and video source is selected (such as a Satellite, Bluray/DVD player, Games Console, CD player, etc...) and processes the incoming stereo or surround sound signals and distributes them to the correct amplifier channels and the subwoofer output. The preamp in an AV receiver can also route video signals coming from source components and direct the video signal to the television.

3. A built-in Multi-channel amplifier (5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 channels) that sends the surround sound signals and power to the speaker system.

Also Known As: AV Receiver, Surround Sound Receiver"

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          Ok, hands up, im a gadget geek

It's my birthday coming up and i've decided to treat myself to a new Home Cinema Receiver and to reduce the number of remote's (currently Vista Media Center, sky, tv, receiver) I was also thinking of getting a combined remote that works well and looks great..

I was thinking of the Sony STRDA 5400ES and the KEF IQ range set (2xIQ50's, 4xIQ30, IQ60c, PSW2500) of speakers..

comments and suggestions of a remote?

also, what do you currently have?
          The Logitech Harmony One is meant to be pretty good.

Comment

Panasonic TH-42PX80B - Screen
            Denon 1940 - DVD
            Humax PVR-9200TS - PVR
            Onkyo TRSR505 - Receiver
            Mordaunt Short Carnivals - Speakers

The Onkyo remote can be configured to control everything else
            but I tend to use the seperate remotes
            - there is always that facility/ button that isn't there
            Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 23 September 2008, 09:08.

Comment

I use the Harmony 785 Advanced Universal Remote.

I have tried more than a few of these universal remotes and none of them have worked as well as the original.

The Logitech remote is just about a perfect replacement for any remote.

You install their client on your PC connect the charging cradle via USB and then look up your TV, DVD player and so on. It installs the settings on the remote and off you go.

It does not work perfectly with Johnny no brand gear or re branded cheapo stuff but as a contractor this should not be a concern.

Battery life is pretty good and the cradle charges the remote up quickly.
              "All around me I see chaos and confusion, my work here is done...."

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                The Logitech Harmony One is meant to be pretty good.
                I was about to buy one but then found it doesnt turn on/off the PS3 as PS3 uses a bluetooth signal rather than an IR signal and even if you buy the Bluetooth/IR adapter it gives control functionality but not on/off..

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  I was about to buy one but then found it doesnt turn on/off the PS3 as PS3 uses a bluetooth signal rather than an IR signal and even if you buy the Bluetooth/IR adapter it gives control functionality but not on/off..
                  I would imagine you will have the same problem with other universal remotes.
                  i.e. not supporting Bluetooth.

Comment

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/02/remote-head.jpg
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X