• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Creating a read only version of your CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a read only version of your CV

This is something I have been considering for a while and the reasons are to stop distribution and editing of my CV behind the scenes. I mentioned an example on another thread where Huxley placed my CV on iprofile.org without my permission and never informed me. Agents were calling all the time and basically wasting my time.

I would probably create a read only PDF with a small note below my personal details that a writable word doc would be available on request if a job I was interested in matching my skill set was available. I would possibly consider placing a water mark over another version and giving that out sometimes.

Now the down side is that..

a. Some agents won't like this new militant ( you are not playing my game ) b. Some agents won't know what a pdf is (seriously, I can see it happening)
    c. Agent software will be built to only store word processor documents
    d. The software wil not be able to handle read only documents.

But i would say..

a. Over the last 4 years I have only got work from agent I have a relationship with and would probably understand why i was doing it.
    b. If they dont know that well I don't think I want them to front me for a IT role
    c+d. They should only have my word CV if they have fronted me for a job in the past.

Any thoughts..

p.s. I though this was going in Business / Contracts, if it can be moved?

You're correct. That's my thoughts...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Unworkable and smart arse-ish. Put up with the calls or do as I will from now on: buy a disposable el cheapo phone and bin it after securing each gig!

Comment

It don't work. Agents only use Word. Anything else they'll just ignore and shovel the next CV on the pile into their clients. Get a YAC number redirected to voicemail / gmail on any "public" CV to handle all those fishing calls.

Comment

Send a PNG image (screenshot).

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            This is something I have been considering for a while and the reasons are to stop distribution and editing of my CV behind the scenes. I mentioned an example on another thread where Huxley placed my CV on iprofile.org without my permission and never informed me. Agents were calling all the time and basically wasting my time.

I would probably create a read only PDF with a small note below my personal details that a writable word doc would be available on request if a job I was interested in matching my skill set was available. I would possibly consider placing a water mark over another version and giving that out sometimes.

Now the down side is that..

a. Some agents won't like this new militant ( you are not playing my game ) b. Some agents won't know what a pdf is (seriously, I can see it happening)
            c. Agent software will be built to only store word processor documents
            d. The software wil not be able to handle read only documents.

But i would say..

a. Over the last 4 years I have only got work from agent I have a relationship with and would probably understand why i was doing it.
            b. If they dont know that well I don't think I want them to front me for a IT role
            c+d. They should only have my word CV if they have fronted me for a job in the past.

Any thoughts..

p.s. I though this was going in Business / Contracts, if it can be moved?

forget it they'll just scan it in and edit it anyway.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Doesn't work

Nice try, but it will get you nowhere. I take it you haven't seen any CVs when they are presented to the client. I have been on both sides of the interview process, so whenever I got a CV, it was presented in the Reccon's logo without the applicant's private details eg address/phone no in case the client decides to 'bypass the agency'. They also claim this is done to comply with the Data Protection Act. I don't mind them doing that, it's when my nicely formatted CV ends up in a mess without tabs/paragraphs (to make it stand down) that annoys the hell out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                forget it they'll just scan it in and edit it anyway.
                whs

Comment

You'll just get a call "can you send me a copy of your CV in Word?". If you don't, you won't get any further.

The cure is worse than the disease: you'll just get pestered by even more agents wanting a CV in the right format. Try hard enough and you won't get any calls at all, which I take it is not the plan. It's easier just to take the calls. OK, if you have "SQL" anywhere on your CV, you'll keep getting calls about SQL Server. IMHO that's not the agents' fault, it's the fault of whoever decided to call their DBMS "SQL Server" knowing full well that it would get confused with SQL.

You can stop the iprofile problem: don't ignore your iprofile, or delete it, go online and enter something for all sections. you will then be able to lock it, so that it won't be modifiable by others after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                    Nice try, but it will get you nowhere. I take it you haven't seen any CVs when they are presented to the client. I have been on both sides of the interview process, so whenever I got a CV, it was presented in the Reccon's logo without the applicant's private details eg address/phone no in case the client decides to 'bypass the agency'. They also claim this is done to comply with the Data Protection Act. I don't mind them doing that, it's when my nicely formatted CV ends up in a mess without tabs/paragraphs (to make it stand down) that annoys the hell out of me.

I have done interviews before and have seen the CVs that come though, I put only the personal details on the front page with a page break so that they can edit them and leave the rest alone.

It's so that the agents don't pass my CV onto anyone else becasue they can't edit out my personal details is the reason for making it read only.

I can be pretty much assured that the agency that got it won't be placing it on job sites without my permission or passing my CV onto third party agencies in relation to job adverts.

Comment

Working...
                    X