• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Electronic timesheets bad for IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Electronic timesheets bad for IR35?

A while back on another contract, I remember a couple of fellow contractors refusing to accept being put on to electronic timesheets by their agency, citing something to do with causing them IR35 headaches.

Does anyone know *why* electronic timesheets would affect them? And would *you* accept online timesheets?

Does no one have ANY comments?

Comment

I don't let agencies tell me how to run my accounts regardless of IR35.

HTDH.

Comment

Name and shame, you know the rules

Comment

Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
          Name and shame, you know the rules
          The agency that tried to change the deal with their contractors to use online timesheets was Spring. I was with Progressive at the time, and was already using online timesheets, and so had to continue like that. However, on the last renewal, I wouldn't sign with them (they changed their contracts, and I found them very suspect with regards to IR35) so ended up signing directly with the client with the agency's agreement.

So you guys agree that electronic timesheets are a no-no for IR35 reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by BamBam View Post
            A while back on another contract, I remember a couple of fellow contractors refusing to accept being put on to electronic timesheets by their agency, citing something to do with causing them IR35 headaches.

Does anyone know *why* electronic timesheets would affect them? And would *you* accept online timesheets?
            Close call this one. I do fill them in as my last client insisted that they were. They use a system to allocate resource time to projects and all Permy, Consultants, Contractors and Temps have to fill them in.

What I find out there is that most contractors are NOT IR35 savvy. If I kick up too much over IR35, especially before I get a gig, there will be 5 other blokes, who are ignorant about IR35, or using umbrallas, who will be offered the gig instead. IMHO opinion as the job market gets worse, as it surely will, I will have to keep my head down and get on with it (within reason) and just do what I can.

I could be the most IR35 ranting contractor in the world, but I'll probably be a poor one, as what I do isn't that special and different.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
              Close call this one.....
              Indeed. Duck and dive and make sure your insurance is up-to-date. Being realistic that's about all you can do at the moment.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

why should electronic timesheets be any different to paper timesheets?
                Do they act as an indicator of greater control?
                Are they simply an easier way of monitoring hours you can bill for and a sensible way to reduce overheads and paper usage?
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'd view electronic timesheets as just a way of logging my time... I work on hourly rates so I give detailed breakdown of my time as part of my service, sent with my invoice. Of course, I'm not told how many hours to spend each day or when to spend them... I give this information as a courtesy.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about it. In all the years I've dealt with IR35 enquiries, timesheets (in any form) have never been a major element of a case. Not worth burning any bridges over.
                    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Working...
                    X