• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ID cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID cards

Not wanting to flog a dead horse, but did anyone watch border police on Sky 1 last night? They raided a curry house in Liverpool, caught a guy there who claimed he was a Kurdish asylum seeker; he had ‘fake’ Kurdish ID to prove it. Ran his fingerprints through a nifty little handheld scanner linked to an immigration backend database and five minutes later got back the true story that he was an Iraqi illegal immigrant.

Good advert for the technology.

** I think it might have been Sky 2 actually**
    Last edited by Incognito; 24 September 2008, 10:54.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Not wanting to flog a dead horse, but did anyone watch border police on Sky 1 last night? They raided a curry house in Liverpool, caught a guy there who claimed he was a Kurdish asylum seeker; he had ‘fake’ Kurdish ID to prove it. Ran his fingerprints through a nifty little handheld scanner linked to an immigration backend database and five minutes later got back the true story that he was an Iraqi illegal immigrant.

Wow - you make it sound magical!!

So as an illegal immigrant, how were his finger prints on this backend database then?

Was the backend database perhaps the Kurdish Asylum Seeker database? which returned "no entry found"?

This is the reply I would worry about when they checked MY finger prints too.
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
      Wow - you make it sound magical!!

So as an illegal immigrant, how were his finger prints on this backend database then?

Was the backend database perhaps the Kurdish Asylum Seeker database? which returned "no entry found"?

This is the reply I would worry about when they checked MY finger prints too.

No, he's most probably come to the UK and tried to claim asylum as a Kurd. That's when they fingerprint and photo them, during the course of the investigations immigration will have identified him as not being Kurdish and being Iraqi (which defines him as an illegal immigrant), by which time the guy has disappeared into the system.

The fact they had an entry on him shows he’s gone through the system at some stage.
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

How much do you want for the dead horse?

Comment

Sounds like there's more than enough available technology already then. No need for the cards.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

No, he's most probably come to the UK and tried to claim asylum as a Kurd. That's when they fingerprint and photo them, during the course of the investigations immigration will have identified him as not being Kurdish and being Iraqi (which defines him as an illegal immigrant), by which time the guy has disappeared into the system.

The fact they had an entry on him shows he’s gone through the system at some stage.
            Did you just say that being Iraqi defines you as being an illegal immigrant?

< ponders whether to or >
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Don't take everything you see on TV at face value.

Comment

Incidentally you should try and steer clear of those sort of police shows - a shallow facade of the state demonstrating its power over you as an individual. Watch it enough and you'll start to believe it, and believe that it is good (which is even worse).
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                  Did you just say that being Iraqi defines you as being an illegal immigrant?

< ponders whether to or >
                  No, being an Iraqi in the UK without a Visa or right to stay defines you as an illegal immigrant.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
                    Don't take everything you see on TV at face value.
                    I was talking about the technology, pure and simple.

The show was on because I'd been watching the Ross Kemp in Kenya thing and never bothered changing after it had finished.

Comment

Working...
                    X