• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Repayments of director investment in P&L

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repayments of director investment in P&L

In the P&L for my contracting company it showed profit and then subtracted dividends to arrive at "retained value for the year".

Now trying to do accounts for a very small company (not contracting) that made a loss in previous years. In this case would I be correct in subtracting repayments of money put in by directors as well as dividends in the P&L? It seems logical that it can't be retained value if it has been paid out.

Can't find anything very helpful on net or in my books so cheers for any advice.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Funds put into a limited company by a director are either for the subscription of shares, in which case the balance sheet will show increase in cash and increase in share capital, which will be an increase in retained value of the business.

More sensibly it will be a loan by the director to the company which will show as an increase in cash and increased short term creditors (less than 1 year).

Dividends are a distribution of profits after tax and rightly directly impact the retained value in the company, being a withdrawal. Loans by directors are never passed through the P&L account since they do not impact the retained value of the business. Yes, they increase the cash balances so it may look like increased value but the director can call for repayment of that loan at any time.

Just reread your Q. Be careful about paying dividends if there are prior year accumulated losses. There are strict rules regarding protection of creditors interests.

I strongly recommend getting an accountant on board.
    Last edited by Emigre; 25 September 2008, 13:24. Reason: RTFQ
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Cheers emigre. An accountant is not an option as the fees would swallow all our meagre profits at the moment unfortunately.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
      X