• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Medals for Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medals for Service

Its 64 years to the day since my great uncle was killed at the Battle of Arnhem - served almost 5 years overseas.

He has 5 medals for his service.

1939-1945 Medal
    Africa Star
    France & Germany Star
    Defence Medal
    War Medal

anyone else have family with medals for service?

...some just didn't get them although they served.
    Last edited by Fishface; 26 September 2008, 01:47. Reason: spelling: working with Americans for too long

My grandad got the Military medal in the 2nd world war but he never liked to talk about what happend and why.

Without the family knowing though the War museum contacted him to interview him a couple of years ago and they recorded it all, in his will he left us copies of the tapes He talked about when he was in the d-day landing, and how he thought he was going to die so passed a letter to someone to send back to his mum just in case as they had to keep the landing quiet.

He drove a tank and there was a story about how they got cornered by the Germans and they blew up his tank and how he got out and managed to provide cover to his colleages by using a machine gun in a German trench which they had fled, he then passed out, when he woke up he thought he had been captured by the germans as he was blined at some point but it was the red cross.

He was also one of the first to arrive at Belsen the concentration camp, he said they could smell it up to a mile away, not supprising he didnt want to talk about it.
    Last edited by Bumfluff; 25 September 2008, 18:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
      Its 64 years to the day since my great uncle was killed at the Battle of Arnhem - served almost 5 years overseas.

He has 5 medals for his service.

1939-1945 Medal
      Africa Star
      France & Germany Star
      Defense Medal
      War Medal

anyone else have family with medals for service?

...some just didn't get them although they served.
      Yes I have my Great Uncle's WW1 medals. By the way, we still spell it 'defence' here.

Comment

My Dad has the Burma Star amongst some others.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

My Grandad had 3 or 4 campaign medals from WWII, and a couple of others for gallantry.

He was in the Paras, so a double hard bastard in his time. He was wounded in Italy somewhere and spent 6 months paralysed.

I only knew him as a gentle giant from his 60s to his 80s and he would never say a word about it. I shudder to think at the things he must have seen and done.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I have both sets of my grandpops medals.

1 was enlisted to ww2, the other was in the army before and during.

I know mums dad did burma.... i have a piece of paper that he wrote all the times/places that he flew from, quite emotional looking at it imagining his age. and probably cramped into a tulipty plane.

got his wrist watch that he had when he was at war too.

apparently he was never the same after the war....

Weird to think of my self sitting on my arse all day getting good money, and grandad at my age was in the jungles fighting

Comment

ohhh just remembered that a ship my grandad was on went down. Must dig out the news paper clipping my mum has.

He was lucky as he knew how to swim (apparently that was fairly rare back in the day?!? neither of my parents can swim...)

Comment

I've got a set from grandparent. He was a Dunkirk vet. and PoW for a good long while.
                It was only in his last few months did he start telling us about it.
                They used to pass camp coffee everyday to him, and every time he smelt a Douwe Egberts coffee it would send a shiver down his back.

I tried to research what the medals were for by ribbon colouring, but couldn't.

Anyone got any good links for finding out ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  I've got a set from grandparent. He was a Dunkirk vet. and PoW for a good long while.
                  It was only in his last few months did he start telling us about it.
                  They used to pass camp coffee everyday to him, and every time he smelt a Douwe Egberts coffee it would send a shiver down his back.

I tried to research what the medals were for by ribbon colouring, but couldn't.

Anyone got any good links for finding out ?
                  http://www.worldmedals.co.uk/Rib/Britrib/britribb.htm
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

My old fella has the General Service Medal (Libya) and the UN Medal (Cyprus). Both from the 70's.

I have the NATO medal for the Balkans from the 90's.

Not sure about Grandparents. I know my Dad's dad fought with the chindits and my Mum's dad was on the buses...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X