• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HSBC cutting 500 jobs at Canary Wharf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSBC cutting 500 jobs at Canary Wharf

If the most stable bank in the UK is cutting jobs it just shows how bad things are going to get.

Hang on, are you telling me the economy alone cannot depend on consumer spending and IB? And for this reason banks are laying off the staff that did so much for our way of life?

I tell yah, I 'm shocked and stunned.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

They're cutting the jobs in the investement bank, not the high street.

The investement bank jobs probably aren't viable any more given the current circumstances and its probably down to not needing the staff, or not believing that those staff will be able to generate enough profit to maintain their existence.

HSBC cut the high street jobs years ago when they decided to install 20+ machines into every branch
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I went for an "interview" there recently - I quoted that as it became clear they thought one of their technical products(bought in) was useless and they asked me if there was any way of getting it to work.

Naturally I told them I would need to investigate their circumstances fully to evaluate.

Mind you any bank using THAT technical product is probably not worth working for.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I went for an "interview" there recently - I quoted that as it became clear they thought one of their technical products(bought in) was useless and they asked me if there was any way of getting it to work.

Naturally I told them I would need to investigate their circumstances fully to evaluate.

Mind you any bank using THAT technical product is probably not worth working for.....
          1100 jobs now on BBC.

Just out of interest which technical product?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Hang on, are you telling me the economy alone cannot depend on consumer spending and IB? And for this reason banks are laying off the staff that did so much for our way of life?

I tell yah, I 'm shocked and stunned.
            My suggestion is to make everybody redundant and outsource all the work. This way there will be huge cost savings. Oh wait but somebody must pay for social benefits..... oh well let's outsource the state too. Boomed.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
              1100 jobs now on BBC.

Just out of interest which technical product?
              Best not to say publicly - but will PM you......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Best not to say publicly - but will PM you......
                Is it an application server?
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                  Is it an application server?
                  ROFL - brings back memories - I remember the Jaguar/Sybase App server there from many years ago. Superb. Not.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Why don't they kick out all those city boy ******* and convert canary warf into a block of flats?

Got to be worth more in the long run that way with so many cretins desperate to pay over the odds to live in that cesspool known as London.

One day London's bound to be nuked if the mad mullahs get their way. I'll miss those bongs on the news at ten.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X