• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What about car manufacturers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about car manufacturers?

For years now I've been hearing that GM is on the brink of bankruptcy, they were borrowing left right and centre just to stay 'liquid'... is it only a matter of time before another giant hits the buffers?

Call me morbid but I find all this quite amusing, can I bet on this somewhere?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

I heard the same about Chrsyler (and Ford) I wonder if Paddy Power would start a book like they have for Airlines?

Comment

Yeah read all about it 'Consumerism is dead' dint you know?

Watching the news about the $700 billion falling through. I hope it does.

I would imagine in the years to come many us freelancers will be plenty rich as everyone everything will be of plenty cheapness.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The clientcarco up here is going great guns.....

Taken on loads of permies on the line recently......

I'm very confident of an extension (if I want it).....

T

Comment

GM is a special case. They haven't made any money out of selling cars for years. They were making their money out of the interest they charged on the loans that they gave their customers in order to buy the cars. Then they just said "well, what the heck?" and started the GM mortgages business. (then the B&B promised to buy those mortages, hence they're circling the plughole too).

Comment

Auto makers jump onto the taxpayer gravy train:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26915639

Comment

Gm

For years now I've been hearing that GM is on the brink of bankruptcy, they were borrowing left right and centre just to stay 'liquid'... is it only a matter of time before another giant hits the buffers?
              very true...

Comment

Now the governments are nationalising the banks, surely the smart money will pile into these institutions as it's as safe as houses. Maybe GM aren't that smart though.

Governments aren't going to let their economies collapse are they, no fun being in charge of a tulip hole is it. All they'll do is offset bad debts against tax, which the public have no choice but to pay.

On the plus side, this could be the double whammy (GM collapse along with rising fuel prices) that means Vauxhall's lovely VXR8 comes down to 10k sooner than later, at which point I'm getting one.
                Last edited by PAH; 28 September 2008, 09:28.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                X