• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The "How the government could save money" thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "How the government could save money" thread

I'll kick off - why not close the The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs? The government never takes a blind bit of notice of what the experts tell them anyway, so this looks like an unnecessary overhead to me:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7636896.stm
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Shut down the Risk and Regulation Advisory Council - Gordon's answer to the criticism that H&S jobsworths were ruining everything was to create an extra QUANGO. Just shows how out of touch he is.

Oh and cancel the hideously expensive and unworkable ID cards programme, too.

They could also save money by not wasting it on buying Toyota Piuoss but keeping cars longer - this would be of more benefit to the environment, too.

Comment

1 Trident upgrade program - billions of UK taxpayers money being trousered by US millitary-indsutrial complex.

Comment

Sack Gordon Brown. All he does is makes things worse anyway.

Comment

More a 'how the government could save us money', but get rid of about 75% of speed cameras. Greedy bastards.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Remove the non contributory pensions from the civil service.
            Their unions have spent years arguing for parity with the private sector.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              Remove the non contributory pensions from the civil service.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                I'll kick off - why not close the The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs? The government never takes a blind bit of notice of what the experts tell them anyway, so this looks like an unnecessary overhead to me:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7636896.stm
                Get rid of tax credits and replace with a proper benefits system.
                Get rid of ID cards
                Examine the QUANGOs set up and see how many are really needed

Have a regulation bonfire - most of them are pointless and just cost money to enforce.

Comment

Cancel the 2012 olympics, and the centralized National Health IT project

Have a "Bonfire of the Quangos". Most of these exist only to keep busibody campaigners and parasites occupied and make them think they're important, and in today's economic climate all their piteous howls and squeals at being kicked away from the trough would go unheeded.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Leave the EU

[where's my tin hat]
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X