• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who said Homeworking is easy !!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who said Homeworking is easy !!!

Been in new contract for a month now, homeworking, in the office once every two weeks. But, b*gger, certainly get a lot done and I'm shattered after each day. Try to break the day up, but miss the social interaction. 2 - 3 hours go by and then you think, blimey where has the time gone. Very productive; but I'm used to maybe one day a week homeworking.

How does anybody else, homeworking etc break up their day, schedule their week etc. It's, for me knowing when to switch off.

You just need to get into the routine that's right for you.
    Mine is:
    9:00 - 13:00 work
    13:00 - 15:00 massive lunch break
    15:00 - 18:00 work
    18:00 - 19:30 break including food
    19:30 - 01:00 work

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Mine is:
      That doesn't seem so much of a life. It's 12.5 hours a day.... hope you are joking. I guess the key is to just have a think that your room is just like an office so you behave exactly like you are in an office. That includes all coffee break etc.

Never work long hours unless it's necessary or somebody ask for that. Not just because it's easy being at home, you risk to end up working all the time.

Sleep a little longer as well, don't rush up to be the first...

And get a house with a fantastic view. Oh well at least this helps me...
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I tend to work 8.30ish until 12:30. Lunch until 1:00 then work until about 3:30, quick walk along the beach. Back to it at 4:00 and work until about 6. But hence the problem, if I'm not doing anything I tend to switch on the laptop and do maybe a couple hours more coding in the evening. At least, with office work we leave the office and thats it. I'm sure it will be a natural cycle in time

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
          That doesn't seem so much of a life. It's 12.5 hours a day.... hope you are joking.
          Well, that's what works for me. I get 2 big breaks during the day, so it's how I get loads of work done without it feeling oppressive.

Of course if there are only 7 hours' work to do, I don't go back for the third shift. But I'm still more likely to work a long day & then take the next day off entirely.

Comment

yep, that happened to me when I worked at home, ended working all hours, yes I had a slightly longer for a lunch break, but ended up going to work after dinner and whenever I had a bright idea about some work issue......

Comment

I do it quite a bit, I have an office in the house. 2 young kids.

I tend to start about 7.30ish
              I work 'til about 9.30, then have a bit of brekky and a chat to kids and MrsBear.
              work from 10 'til about 1ish - long lunch either sitting at the table with everyone or all out to a restaurant.
              Then work again from 3pm 'til about 6/6.30. That's still a good days work, great family life during the day and I'm still home earlier then when I'm in London.
              Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

I only work from home. Normally I work 8-12.30, 1.30-6. Yesterday I logged 14 hours but the software was being demoed today. And I charge hourly, which makes me much happier to work long hours... I'm a proper nerd so I would work on my own coding if I had no work.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Mine is:

Unless this is hourly paid, must be very inefficient or desperate to impress. Either way, it would not leave much time for living.

For me, a day is 8 hours max. In office or working from home.

Comment

Sometimes it's hourly paid.

Sometimes it's involved in managing an offshore team: I pay them hourly but charge the end client a fixed price for the deliverable so it's in my interests to get things done to a high standard without dawdling.

And sometimes it's not directly billable at all. Go figure that one out.

Comment

Working...
                    X