• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much would you earn as a permie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would you earn as a permie?

We had a discussion recently "how much would it take for you to go permie". Well, forget that. I'm wondering what people think they could realistically get in the area they normally work. If you are happy to say your typical contact rate as well that's be great.

THe 'rule' I've heard is that contractors generally make about twice what their emplyed counterparts do. That's basically where I am. My last job was for £27K which I considered quite good in the North East, my hourly rates work out at just over £200 per day and I'm projecting gross company profit of £55-60K.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We had a discussion recently "how much would it take for you to go permie". Well, forget that. I'm wondering what people think they could realistically get in the area they normally work. If you are happy to say your typical contact rate as well that's be great.

THe 'rule' I've heard is that contractors generally make about twice what their emplyed counterparts do. That's basically where I am. My last job was for £27K which I considered quite good in the North East, my hourly rates work out at just over £200 per day and I'm projecting gross company profit of £55-60K.
    do you know it's Christmas time?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      My last job was for £27K which I considered quite good in the North East, my hourly rates work out at just over £200 per day and I'm projecting gross company profit of £55-60K.
      I left my 40k job in the NE where I felt undervalued to go contracting, and now make considerably more than yow

In the NE I don't think a good techie could make more than 50k without lowering themselves into management.

Comment

£55K - are you working the full 52 weeks without a break or a holiday?

I usually calculate for about 43 working weeks a year. so that's £43,000 gross. minus your salary, minus expenses and minus taxes...
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I was always told that

hourly rate * 1000 = permie salary

I left a permie job last year and got a contract of

rate = (salary / 1000) - 12

but then I didn't go back to contracting for the money
          I went back for the job security

I couldn't match my permie package in the contract market.

Comment

I would get about £39 to £45k permie in the NW. My current rate is in the £40 to £45/hr region and I plan on 44 weeks a year generally. IME generally rates in the NE (Teesside) compared to the NW (Manchester) are usually about £3 or £4 per hour lower, that's in Engineering BTW.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I'd hope to get £45K. Unfortunately when I've had a look at the permie jobs on offer they're often more like £30K, which means I'm probably too old and over-qualified. If £30K was all I could get, I'd rather work in a factory to pay the bills and put all my effort into the plan B. I'm not going to try hard for somebody else for only £30K.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I'd hope to get £45K. Unfortunately when I've had a look at the permie jobs on offer they're often more like £30K, which means I'm probably too old and over-qualified. If £30K was all I could get, I'd rather work in a factory to pay the bills and put all my effort into the plan B. I'm not going to try hard for somebody else for only £30K.
                Work out how much £45k is take home on PAYE these Brownian days. Very, very depressing
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  £55K - are you working the full 52 weeks without a break or a holiday?

I usually calculate for about 43 working weeks a year. so that's £43,000 gross. minus your salary, minus expenses and minus taxes...
                  I'm assuming 50 weeks. Taking into account I sometimes work 50-60 hours a week and get some small but higher-rate jobs, >£50 is projected. If Abbey's online business portal wasn't so very basic I could do a quick check for accuracy...

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Work out how much £45k is take home on PAYE these Brownian days. Very, very depressing
                    Has it changed much since Labour came to power? I thought the rates and thresholds had been relatively stable, and the UK higher-rate of income tax is lower than many EU countries?

Comment

Working...
                    X