• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Piracy - interesting plan B for those thinking of the short term

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piracy - interesting plan B for those thinking of the short term

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7639090.stm

Pirates who seized a Ukrainian ship off the coast of Somalia have reportedly demanded a ransom of $35m (£19m) to release the vessel and its crew.

The pirates earlier warned against any attempt to rescue the crew or cargo of the MV Faina, which is carrying 33 battle tanks destined for Kenya.

Pirates have seized dozens of ships near Somalia's coast in recent months.

I read that the Royal Navy daren't engage them incase they claim asylum.

It should get interesting when someone develops a spine and gets stuck in. 33 tanks aint going to hold up to an aircraft carrier full of toys. BOOMED!

Why can't we have this sort of reality TV on a saturday night instead of the dross that infests our screens?
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

I thought this was going to be about internet piracy - damn.....

Comment

The Ukraine should offer to pay the ransom in $35 million dollars worth of weapons grade plutonium - air mail delivery of course.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMed
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7639090.stm

I read that the Royal Navy daren't engage them incase they claim asylum.

It should get interesting when someone develops a spine and gets stuck in. 33 tanks aint going to hold up to an aircraft carrier full of toys. BOOMED!

Why can't we have this sort of reality TV on a saturday night instead of the dross that infests our screens?
        The French on the other hand have no qualms about having a go and have sent in paratroopers on at least two occasions recently to rescue french nationals kidnapped by the Pirates. Although both operations were carried out before the Pirates got to the base.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          The French on the other hand have no qualms about having a go and have sent in paratroopers on at least two occasions recently to rescue french nationals kidnapped by the Pirates. Although both operations were carried out before the Pirates got to the base.

I don't think our lads would be up for it, they have a history of landing on top of a load of tanks.
          After Arnhem, our paratroopers prefer to piss about trying to get into footy matches for free:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08..._devil_mishap/

Even the SAS go in by land if Ultimate Force is to be believed. Don't recall seeing a single parachute in the whole four series. Maybe because I only watched about two of them.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Just sink it - that would convince anyone else thinking of 'having a go' not to bother.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
              Just sink it - that would convince anyone else thinking of 'having a go' not to bother.

Probably worth more in salvage value anyway now scrap metal prices have gone through the roof.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
              X