PDA

View Full Version : Merlin

Spacecadet
28th September 2008, 11:38
I had the misfortune of watching this for 10 minutes last night
Another cliche ridden saturday night yawn fest seemingly designed to keep the Sun readership away from whatever ITV/SkyOne is showing

Should the BBC really be wasting license payers money on this crap? It really seems like the sort of dross better suited to ITV.
It's neither cutting edge, socially important, innovatative or anything else I think my license money should be spent on :(

Troll
28th September 2008, 11:42
Another cliche ridden saturday night yawn fest seemingly designed to keep the Sun readership away from whatever ITV/SkyOne is showing

Should the BBC really be wasting license payers money on this crap? It really seems like the sort of dross better suited to ITV.
It's neither cutting edge, socially important, innovatative or anything else I think my license money should be spent on :(Can you provide an example of 'socially important' programmes to provide a reference...but other than that totally agree, shite of the highest order

Diver
28th September 2008, 11:47
Hear Hear! :yay:

Total dross

Sockpuppet
28th September 2008, 13:51
It was alright. Very cliched and not as much in the line of pretty looking women as I'd like but I'll make do and mend.

Cowboy Bob
28th September 2008, 14:50
It's better than Bonekickers - but then that's not hard.

Personally I'm waiting on the next series of this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/lastmanstanding/ - I know it's not exactly intellectual, but for some reason I really got into the last series.

PAH
28th September 2008, 14:50
I caught about 5 seconds of it whilst flicking channels. Thought it was Robin Hood tbh. Surely the same production team involved, doing this instead of twiddling thumbs. Both seem to be aimed at kids, or those with the mental age of one.

As for the scam that is the television licence, I look forward to the day I can get everything I want via the internet (IPTV etc) and cancel my licence. They can't expect people to pay it for having an internet connection can they, if I ditched all other methods of receiving programmes?

No traditional TV signal receiver (even TV cards in PCs), no need to pay the licence fee isn't it?

bogeyman
28th September 2008, 14:59
I caught about 5 seconds of it whilst flicking channels. Thought it was Robin Hood tbh. Surely the same production team involved, doing this instead of twiddling thumbs. Both seem to be aimed at kids, or those with the mental age of one.

As for the scam that is the television licence, I look forward to the day I can get everything I want via the internet (IPTV etc) and cancel my licence. They can't expect people to pay it for having an internet connection can they, if I ditched all other methods of receiving programmes?

No traditional TV signal receiver (even TV cards in PCs), no need to pay the licence fee isn't it?

Agreed. This isn't meant to be adult viewing, surely?

Perhaps the real question is why the BBC are scheduling kids programmes in a prime-time slot.

PAH
28th September 2008, 15:15

Perhaps the real question is why the BBC are scheduling kids programmes in a prime-time slot.

Maybe the government's attempting to dumb down the nation seeing as the internet is helping people become smarter and make more educated decisions.

Though from what I remember it's always been this way, saturday night telly full of crap that only women seem to enjoy. Maybe it's that other conspiracy, to drive us all out to the pubs and restaurants to generate more tax.

bogeyman
28th September 2008, 15:26
Maybe the government's attempting to dumb down the nation seeing as the internet is helping people become smarter and make more educated decisions.

Though from what I remember it's always been this way, saturday night telly full of crap that only women seem to enjoy. Maybe it's that other conspiracy, to drive us all out to the pubs and restaurants to generate more tax.

But as we mostly have to drive to said pubs and restaurants, it's a win-win for the govt. as they can then criminalise us and demand our DNA for drink-driving, as we weave our merry way home along the A Roads of Britain.

BrilloPad
28th September 2008, 16:09
My kids loved it :yay:

SueEllen
28th September 2008, 16:13

How old are your kids? 5 and under?

bogeyman
28th September 2008, 16:39

And why not?

Trouble is, what are the BBC making for grown-ups to enjoy?

All their big-budget productions are kid's stuff (Dr Who etc.) or tiresome period dramas. All their major feature documentaries are dumbed-down beyond belief (e.g. Horizon).

I think the problem is largely that the BBC now employs 'children' who have been raised on a diet of pap in their production departments.

Diver
28th September 2008, 16:40
And why not?

All their big-budget productions are kid's stuff (Dr Who etc.) or tiresome period dramas. All their major feature documentaries are dumbed-down beyond belief (e.g. Horizon).

I think the problem is largely that the BBC now employs 'children' who have been raised on a diet of pap in their production departments.

:spel and terrified of not being pc or of showing bias

BrilloPad
28th September 2008, 17:05
How old are your kids? 5 and under?

6.5 next Saturday.

BrilloPad
28th September 2008, 17:06
And why not?

Strictly Come Dancing? :rolleyes:

<puts on tin hat>

Bob Dalek
28th September 2008, 17:27
It's for kids... underachieving kids, but kids nonetheless.

Diver
28th September 2008, 19:20
Strictly Come Dancing? :rolleyes:

<puts on tin hat>

With the outfits some of those birds wear, some of us do:o:D

Old Greg
28th September 2008, 19:30
It was truly awful. The only redeeming feature was my pointing out to Mrs OG every 30 seconds: 'And they wouldn't have had <insert anachronistic feature> in early post-Roman Britain'.

Diver
28th September 2008, 19:32
It was truly awful. The only redeeming feature was my pointing out to Mrs OG every 30 seconds: 'And they wouldn't have had <insert anachronistic feature> in early post-Roman Britain'.

Yes! My wife hates that too :devil:smokin

Old Greg
28th September 2008, 19:33
Yes! My wife hates that too :devil:smokin

Which is, of course, the point of life.

Diver
28th September 2008, 19:44
Which is, of course, the point of life.

She's sent me upstairs because she's watching a CSI that I've seen :D

I get this terrible and irresistible urge to tell her what's going to happen next :devil:laugh

Old Greg
28th September 2008, 19:46
She's sent me upstairs because she's watching a CSI that I've seen :D

I get this terrible and irresistible urge to tell her what's going to happen next :devil:laugh

Only you don't go upstairs do you? It's all piecing together in a CSI kind of way.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/33345-contract-cancelled-2.html

Spacecadet
29th September 2008, 09:04
Can you provide an example of 'socially important' programmes to provide a reference...

Top Gear

expat
29th September 2008, 09:13

Should the BBC really be wasting license payers money on this crap? No. But for some reason it is widely thought that, having given the BBC a non-commercial source of funding, its success should then be judged on audience share, i.e. the more like a commercially-funded network it becomes, the better. I don't understand it.

FiveTimes
29th September 2008, 09:29
Maybe I'll get flamed for this but my two kids really enjoyed it, but of harmless fun and a lot better than X factor stuff

Bob Dalek
29th September 2008, 10:32

Because they want adults to watch it with their sprogs, thus getting the family audience, and sell it to the States for a lucrative ROI.

By the way, Richard Wilson is in it with an unconvincing wig. FFS.

NotAllThere
29th September 2008, 10:51
I watched two episodes of Vanity Fair back to back yesterday afternoon on BBC Prime. Worth the license fee (if I had to buy one) on its own.

Spacecadet
29th September 2008, 10:59
I watched two episodes of Vanity Fair back to back yesterday afternoon on BBC Prime. Worth the license fee (if I had to buy one) on its own.

Some of the older programmes are brilliant. Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin and Karaoke being just two of them.
There really isn't anything of this calibre being made any more

Vanity Fair.. not something that I would watch but I remember that series and the quality in writing and acting was there.
Try watching its modern equivalent, Tudors... another pile of absolute toss

Bob Dalek
29th September 2008, 11:11
Some of the older programmes are brilliant. Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin and Karaoke being just two of them.
There really isn't anything of this calibre being made any more

Vanity Fair.. not something that I would watch but I remember that series and the quality in writing and acting was there.
Try watching its modern equivalent, Tudors... another pile of absolute toss

Agreed. Watched "Elizabeth R" (the one with Glenda "Scraggy Stoat" Jackson) on one of the freebie channels last week - THAT'S how it should be done... proper acting, reasonably in-tune-with-the-facts plots, no tw@tty sexed-up w@nk.