• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Cancelled

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Cancelled

I've been offered a contract in the city which is due to start in the next couple of weeks. The pimp has sent all the contract documentation (not signed) and as a result i've cancelled other job offers and various interviews. I'm now being told that this job may be canned...

Where do i stand in this situation?

Originally posted by liveforever View Post
    I've been offered a contract in the city which is due to start in the next couple of weeks. The pimp has sent all the contract documentation (not signed) and as a result i've cancelled other job offers and various interviews. I'm now being told that this job may be canned...

no where, you're still sat on the bench

This is a risk of contracting, get your CV back out now and start making some calls tomorrow morning, hopefully you can claw your way back into some of those cancelled interviews.

Good luck!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Rule of life never cancel anything until you know for certain, if you had signed the contract things may have been different.

As already pointed out by Spacecadet, time to get back in touch with those people you blew off

Comment

Originally posted by liveforever View Post

A bird in the hand is always worthwhile remembering.

Why do you think you have any recourse over your canned job offer yet the people you canned off have no recourse over you?
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by wizard1974uk View Post
          Rule of life never cancel anything until you know for certain, if you had signed the contract things may have been different.

As already pointed out by Spacecadet, time to get back in touch with those people you blew off
          I even keep the options open for the first week of the new contract.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I even keep the options open for the first week of the new contract.
            Amen

Comment

This is EXACTLY what I am concerned about and what I am worrying about ...

So I would like to keep MY options open and NOT cancel those alternative contracts, instead keep them open until its signed on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard1974uk View Post

WHS. A pimps word is worth nothing. Even if I verbally accept a role (subject to contract!) I keep looking for new opportunities right up intil I'm firmly at the client site and things look ok. As you've just found out, promises in this game are worthless, and by continuing to search, it is always possible a better offer may come up. Rule number 1 = look after number one.

Comment

If it helps I think the market has turned around since last month, August was asleep.

In this month alone I've had 3 interviews and 2 very good offers. The phone is going everyday now.

With Friday's happy result I booked myself in for a Swedish massage in the morning... got to start stress free you know. Contractor preparation & survival - I could write a book.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    If it helps I think the market has turned around since last month, August was asleep.
                    I predicted back in June that September would be The Month, which was why I was having a couple of months off before looking, and it turned out to be.

Start new gig this week, 6 monther for higher rate than before. I made sure at interview that the tea machine was on free vend, my primary pointer on whether I like a contract or not.
                    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Working...
                    X