• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fortis Bailout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortis Bailout

Ok, please explain why banking and insurance group "Fortis" is being bailed out by the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg to the tune of £9bn when last month Fortis announced it made £1.2bn profit in the last six months?

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Ok, please explain why banking and insurance group "Fortis" is being bailed out by the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg to the tune of £9bn when last month Fortis announced it made £1.2bn profit in the last six months?
    Fortis’s woes lie with ABN Amro break-up

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      They had been spinning all year that, despite all the stuff going on, they would still turn in a profit. Technically correct but a wee bit overshadowed by the impending doom facing them with the ABN buyout. They’ve now been through 3 chief executives this year. The sub-prime plus Lehman positions hurt them but that was nothing compared to the problems they had raising the funds to finish off the ABN buyout – basically they were looking at a fire sale to raise the (8 bn?)

Last week the shares caved in and there looked like being a run on a bank across three countries. Must admit, I had an interest in the outcome as I’ve over 50k in my Fortis business account

What amazes me is that they got this sorted in 2 days – nothing here happens that quickly. I suppose it was the prospect of a French bank buying it that focused their minds!

As well as the bailout they are flogging off the ABN Dutch business for 10bn having ‘paid’ 24bn for it last year

Comment

Working...
      X