• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If banks are too important to go bust.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If banks are too important to go bust.....

.... then why are they allowed to be run privately?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    .... then why are they allowed to be run privately?

Because it's all a big swindle?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Because it's all a big swindle?
      Well the police are not even allowed to even go on strike!

I reckon they should either be nationalized (and run inefficiently) or allowed to operate in a proper free market. i.e. LTCM should have gone to wall in 1998 and no dropping of interest rates at first sign of a wobble.

This US bailout - suppose it was to happen in Eurloand? Imaging trying to get all those governments together!

Comment

Well the police are not even allowed to even go on strike!

I reckon they should either be nationalized (and run inefficiently) or allowed to operate in a proper free market. i.e. LTCM should have gone to wall in 1998 and no dropping of interest rates at first sign of a wobble.

This US bailout - suppose it was to happen in Eurloand? Imaging trying to get all those governments together!
        I think the Yanks have avoided 3 recessions by pumping in cheap money, just means we are now going to have a triple whammy recession to pay for it all.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          I think the Yanks have avoided 3 recessions by pumping in cheap money, just means we are now going to have a triple whammy recession to pay for it all.
          Is that what a depression is?

If a recession is two consecutive periods of negative growth - what is a depression?

Comment

Is that what a depression is?

If a recession is two consecutive periods of negative growth - what is a depression?
            Soup kitchens and doss houses !?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              Soup kitchens and doss houses !?

I see a whole new market emerging... I could supply dossers to the soup kitchens.
              I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
                I see a whole new market emerging... I could supply dossers to the soup kitchens.
                Someones got to make the soup. More swan roasting Albanians needed.

Comment

Where does all the money to buy up the failing banks come from? does the BoE just ratchet up the printing presses over the weekend?

If so, is that not inflationary?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Where does all the money to buy up the failing banks come from? does the BoE just ratchet up the printing presses over the weekend?

If so, is that not inflationary?
                    The banks are being nationalised. They belong to us! We are paying!

Comment

Working...
                    X