• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear™ - Mortgage lending in August

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear™ - Mortgage lending in August

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7641535.stm

Mortgage lending collapsed in August, according to the latest figures from the Bank of England.

Only £143m was lent by banks and building societies, just 5% of July's lending figure and only 2% of the lending in August 2007.

The End.

Look at it on the bright side. We will soon see a massive cut in interest rates!!!

Comment

2% on last year.

2%

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        Look at it on the bright side. We will soon see a massive cut in interest rates!!!
        And it won't be passed on to borrowers. You just don't get it do you. Banks as you know it are forked. They can't lend, they have nothing to lend and if they did, they'd simply be buying into falling assets.

HTH

Comment

-50%
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7641535.stm

Mortgage lending collapsed in August, according to the latest figures from the Bank of England.

Only £143m was lent by banks and building societies, just 5% of July's lending figure and only 2% of the lending in August 2007.

The End.
            You've twisted it a bit, it is NET lending ! BUT we are TRIPLE UBER DOOMED on the housing front. It's going to be messy !

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              You've twisted it a bit, it is NET lending ! BUT we are TRIPLE UBER DOOMED on the housing front. It's going to be messy !
              So its not time to start buying yet?

I must put a note in my diary to buy houses - 2015?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                So its not time to start buying yet?

I must put a note in my diary to buy houses - 2015?
                If you need a new car and a house, this might be for you.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/3704...mborghini_too/

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  And it won't be passed on to borrowers. You just don't get it do you. Banks as you know it are forked. They can't lend, they have nothing to lend and if they did, they'd simply be buying into falling assets.

HTH

It will eventually, but if the step of making cuts is not made then there is nothing to pass onto borrowers. Is that too difficult to understand?

At the moment we have Buy to Lets where mortgages have almost doubled recently. One guy on the radio this morning has just had the first of his eight properties repossessed and is expecting them all to go. Keeping rates at their current levels does nobody any good.... not even savers if all banks go bust.

Keeping the BofE interest rate at its current level is just plain pig-headed stupidity.

Comment

Comment - "Awwww, he can't afford his place any more because of the credit crunch. And he can't sell it either. Bless!!"
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X