• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Further qualifications and the BCS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further qualifications and the BCS

I have been performing a BA role for about 3-4 months now, this is my first job out of university and its been a very slow start. I am thinking of further qualifications to give me a more rounded exposure to the industry and I was thinking of joining the BCS and undertaking their professional examinations. As I already hold a degree would this be benefit with regards to my next job, gaining knowledge/experience and eventually contracting or would a masters in something along the lines of information systems be better? The only problem with masters is the actual cost.

Thanks for your help and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Get some experience then complement it with a Masters, or with some certs. Those alone on their own probably won't hold up in the contract market without experience to back it up.

I've got both experience and qualifications and whenever I go for interviews 95% of the focus is on previous experience and previous roles. The certs/degrees just give them an indication you can work at a certain level, or can double back things up... don't expect them to be blown away by qualifications standing on their own.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairly New graduate View Post
      I have been performing a BA role for about 3-4 months now, this is my first job out of university and its been a very slow start. I am thinking of further qualifications to give me a more rounded exposure to the industry and I was thinking of joining the BCS and undertaking their professional examinations. As I already hold a degree would this be benefit with regards to my next job, gaining knowledge/experience and eventually contracting or would a masters in something along the lines of information systems be better? The only problem with masters is the actual cost.

One of the unpublished joining conditions of the BCS is having a beard with food stuck in it.

HTH
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
        Get some experience then complement it with a Masters, or with some certs. Those alone on their own probably won't hold up in the contract market without experience to back it up.

I've got both experience and qualifications and whenever I go for interviews 95% of the focus is on previous experience and previous roles. The certs/degrees just give them an indication you can work at a certain level, or can double back things up... don't expect them to be blown away by qualifications standing on their own.
        WHS. These are just ticks In the boxes. You need experience to back paper quals up. As said above in interview it's experience clients want to know about.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          One of the unpublished joining conditions of the BCS is having a beard with food stuck in it.

HTH
          I thought that rule only applied to the women
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Dont waste your time. If you are a business analyst you shhould understand everything that you do from the business point of view. Stick a BCS badge on your Cv or your "jacket" and you will be instantly branded as someone who cares more about computers than what they are supposed to be used for.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Dont waste your time. If you are a business analyst you shhould understand everything that you do from the business point of view. Stick a BCS badge on your Cv or your "jacket" and you will be instantly branded as someone who cares more about computers than what they are supposed to be used for.
              WHS. The BCS is nothing, and I mean nothing... other than Fritzl-wannabes who can trot-out the entire ASCII table and make up limericks about binary and hex... and who all worship Clive Sinclair.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, all very good points. I do understand what you mean about the BSC, any other quls people would recommend at this time in my career as well as gaining experience, I may just take golf lessons and a wine tasting course to fill my time now then!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, all very good points. I do understand what you mean about the BSC, any other quls people would recommend at this time in my career as well as gaining experience, I may just take golf lessons and a wine tasting course to fill my time now then!
                  Work hard!
                  try and get involved in any new projects

You've probably already noticed that in any working environment 20% of the staff are credited for 80% of the work
                  Make sure you're in that 20% group
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Work hard!
                    try and get involved in any new projects

You've probably already noticed that in any working environment 20% of the staff are credited for 80% of the work
                    Make sure you're in that 20% group
                    Sad, but true.

If you really, really want to get on, then kiss ass all day long and work until others have gone home and don't take a day off sick and always, ABOVE ALL OTHER THINGS, attend the stupid, suicide-inducing, tragically naff and mind numbing social events... all of 'em. I don't - but then I'm a DBA and nobody wants me down the pub with them.

Comment

Working...
                    X