• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Impact on contractor-land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impact on contractor-land

Doesn't seem to be a discussion on this...

What are peoples' thoughts on how bad the crash is/will be - how long it will last, and how we fine upstanding folk in the contractor world will be impacted?

My thoughts...it will get a lot smellier, will probably last 18 months to 2 years, and the contractor market will start to really seize up in the new year as projects dry up or get pulled.

Wadya reckon...and would you like fries with that?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Doesn't seem to be a discussion on this...

What are peoples' thoughts on how bad the crash is/will be - how long it will last, and how we fine upstanding folk in the contractor world will be impacted?

My thoughts...it will get a lot smellier, will probably last 18 months to 2 years, and the contractor market will start to really seize up in the new year as projects dry up or get pulled.

I'm studying for my first gold star as we speak...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      I'm studying for my first gold star as we speak...
      You can always borrow some of mine!!!

Comment

Many folks (including yours truly) were concerned with the quiet market during August.

September has been a very different picture. 3 interviews, 2 offers, phone call enquiries - I've lost count.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

18 months to 2 years? Are you joking, recessions tend to last for longer than that, and this looks like being a bad one. During the last downturns households were not funding such ridiculous levels of debt. Most people had the ability to tighten their belts, I suspect that is not the case this time. Add to that all the businesses that sprang out of the credit boom. The 'added value' services, recreational industries. Many of those are going to go down the tube with inevitable effect on unemployment.
          This writing has been on the wall for years, and many belived it could/would never happen, that has only served to make it even worse.
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 29 September 2008, 19:59.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
          X