• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Issues

My accountant sent me this message. Anybody have any idea on this. He says HMRC is planning to put dividend under PAYE.

Matter.

In a decission that has caused alarm bells to ring right across the consultancy industry and which will be echoed similarly across that of professional tax advisers, the high court has dismissed the appeal in dragonfly consulting v commissioners of HMRC.

This decission will have a profound effect upon the success of hMRC's drive into the Issue of employment versus self employment. The taxpayer in question was doing work via his own company and via an agency company and had in place many of the safeguards that were thought to guarantee is self employed status (such as the right of substitution) and the High Court still ruled that he was an employee.

If this case remains in place as Case Law, then it is difficult to envisage many arrangements successfully passing the self employment test and this area will become a hugely profitable area of enquiry by HMRC (as if it wasnt already). Challenges to almost every scenario involving this issue can be expected goin forward and it is strongly advised that all practitioners study this case and open a dialogue with an client that they think might be at risk.

It is already common knowledge that HMRC are looking to increase the tax take by any means possible and they will not be overlooking the gift horse that this case has become.

Regards,
    Goodmans

Sounds like ballacks to me. There are still successful ways to defend against IR35.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...dragonfly.html

Comment

Don't worry about it. Soon nobody will be earning anything to be T'ed.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Goodmans View Post
        the high court has dismissed the appeal in dragonfly consulting v commissioners of HMRC.
        I assume that's carp. The case was only a few weeks ago, and although there was talk of appeal it wouldn't have got to the High Court yet, and would have been much bigger news if it had.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Does anyone know the latest on the official Tory stance on IR35?

Comment

Working...
          X