• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

School Governor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School Governor?

Considering doing the School Governor thing, anyone done it? Recommended? Don't touch with a barge pole?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Considering doing the School Governor thing, anyone done it? Recommended? Don't touch with a barge pole?
    Do you know anything about education?

Comment

Nothing!
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

..you're actually qualified to be education minister then

Seriously though, I am school governor at a primary school. Very rewarding stuff - not too demanding on time. I recommend it, especially if you have a kid at the same school.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

what do you do in the role of school governor exactly? examples..
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            Checking security procedures
            Sorting convicts grievances
            Appraising warden staff performance and pay
            Awarding early parole for good behaviour
            Lethal Injections
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
              Checking security procedures
              Sorting convicts grievances
              Appraising warden staff performance and pay
              Awarding early parole for good behaviour
              Lethal Injections
              Making sure they all share the new boy etc.
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                Stick your oar in, thus embarrassing your child, and making them perfect sport for the school's bullies.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                  They may well run police checks on you - our local playgroup did on the missus - so nothing to hide hopefully ;-)

I think you get sent on various courses by the local authority too.

If you think you can add value and provide some benefit to the school do it.

When we rocked up in our local village a few years ago the (i) local parish council and (ii) local playgorup organisation was pretty abysmally shocking which is why the missus decided to get involved.

Comment

Reasons for me having a punt are have a sprog who will be entering the education in the next few years, also thought it might be good to 'do my bit' in the community, also can't do the old CV any harm.

Don't think you can say that I want to be governor of X school, so might not get into the one I want daughter to attend. But the fact that you are a governor in the area might help.

Comment

Working...
                    X