• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leeds is almost in Scotland, isn't it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leeds is almost in Scotland, isn't it?

The Conservatives were last night accused of "snubbing" Scotland after unveiling an ambitious plan to create a multi-billion pound high-speed rail link from London ... to Leeds.
    However, David Cameron insisted the Tory plan was a "first step" and that he wanted more high-speed rail links to bring "our country closer together".

The Conservative leader told the BBC he wanted to "make sure it is easier to get from London to Edinburgh, London to Glasgow and travel faster and fly a bit less".
    However, any fast link to Scotland is unlikely to materialise before 2040.
    That will be too late to bring "our country closer together".

Both David Mundell, the Shadow Scottish Secretary, and Annabel Goldie, the Scottish Conservative leader, denied the high-speed London-to-Leeds rail plan was a snub to Scotland, describing it as a "very encouraging" plan. "By getting it to Leeds, it opens up as a realistic possibility of it coming to Scotland," insisted Mr Mundell.
    We invented the thing, now we should be pleased to have "a realistic possibility of it coming to Scotland"?

Those Tories do make me laugh

I've never been to Leeds, but I'm sure it's very near Scotland. They can get a bus the rest of the way.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      I've never been to Leeds, but I'm sure it's very near Scotland. They can get a bus the rest of the way.
      walk
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        Didn't the Scots throw it over the wall last time they had a cleanup?

Don't see why they can't just hire a skip like everyone else
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

The plan to get shut of them ( and make them think it was their choice ) is well under way. Why waste money on the Leeds to Scotland bit

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            The plan to get shut of them ( and make them think it was their choice ) is well under way. Why waste money on the Leeds to Scotland bit
            At least Cameron didn't promise trains to Glasgow and Edinburgh, as Thatcher did with Eurostar, and then renegue.

Comment

Not sure I know this Leeds place. Is it North of Watford?

Comment

That it isn't London to <a Scottish City> is, I suggest, because the powers that be have, rightly, concluded that there's no point to doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                  That it isn't London to <a Scottish City> is, I suggest, because the powers that be have, rightly, concluded that there's no point to doing it.
                  There's no point having a London to anywhere rail link, since Londoners don't believe in anywhere else apart from London.
                  Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                    There's no point having a London to anywhere rail link, since Londoners don't believe in anywhere else apart from London.
                    Fair enough! Also, why provide transport to ginger, prismatically pale & translucent shiftless folk with appalling teeth, who won't use it anyway because they can't smoke or play pool for the duration of the journey?

Comment

Working...
                    X