• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hurricane Karina - My Thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurricane Karina - My Thoughts

I have been underneath a fair few hurricanes in my time and while watching recent Katrina events unfold we need to question the following

Why was a mandatory evacuation not issued on Friday when all global and hurricane forecast models where showing a Mississippi Delta landfall. The mandatory evac was issued too late on the Sunday (hurricane made landfall on the Monday. Even the National Hurricane Centre had New Orleans as a close brush by Saturday.

Why were resources not pre-staged inland ready to move as soon as the winds died down – this has always been the case with hurricanes that I have been in.

FACT! The disaster in New Orleans is separate to the effects of the hurricane along the Louisiana coastline. We are looking at two separate disasters here. The levees in N.O. were going to fail one day… weather by hurricane storm surge from Lake Pontchatrain, by an earth quake or just bad maintance..

There was no reason for people to remain in New Orleans, many have said that they survived Hurricane Camille in 1969 and would ride this out. – Camille killed more people last Monday the she did in 1969.

NWS deperment budgest have been cut big time over the last few years - since 9/11 in fact.

It is near impossible to build levee’s that could survive a CAT 3 plus hurricane.

My forecast for the overall death toll is not the 10,000 that is being put about. Along the LA and MS coastline – given that there was CAT5 storm surge then I would think around 250-500 (again it all depends on who got out)

For New Orleans NO ONE knows just yet – but it will not be in the 1000’s

Meanwhile - there are tropical devlopments East of Florida and the remanents of Hurricane Maria will cross near to the UK in about six days time.
    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Meanwhile - there are tropical devlopments East of Florida and the remanents of Hurricane Maria will cross near to the UK in about six days time.
    What's the likely impact of what's left of Maria on the UK?
    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by wxman
      Why was a mandatory evacuation not issued on Friday when all global and hurricane forecast models where showing a Mississippi Delta landfall.
      They took their chances I think.

The main issue that happened was insufficiently fast rescue effort -- if they started in force on day 1 (Monday) then lots more of people would not have to die.

It is likely that more people died after actual hurricane gone than during it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
        What's the likely impact of what's left of Maria on the UK?
        If you're standing on the beach at the right time, you might notice one wave that's an inch or two higher than the rest. Be ready to jump back out of the way though, or you risk getting water in your shoe.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
          If you're standing on the beach at the right time, you might notice one wave that's an inch or two higher than the rest. Be ready to jump back out of the way though, or you risk getting water in your shoe.
          I don't have that problem with water... Ask Chico all about it...(Go on, I dare you...)
          Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
          You know you'll need us!

Comment

Why was a mandatory evacuation not issued on Friday when all global and hurricane forecast models where showing a Mississippi Delta landfall.
            Actually your facts are slightly wrong there. I always pay very close attention to hurricanes on the gulf coast as someone extreamly close to me lives there. And until about 24 hours before landfall nearly all forcasts were estimateing katrina would turn north by north east earlyer (as is the norm, thus bringing it in on the Alabama/Mississippi state line), N.O was always going to be hit somewhat but most estimates had it only getting the edges of the west side (for those that don't know, if you are are going to get any effects from a hurricane on the gulf coast that is the best part you can hope for, as east side is bigger, more drawn out and full of tornados)

Sure hindsight is a lovely 20/20, but in reality that entire coast gets hit multiple times a year, it's a long coast and hurricanes jump around alot. If they evacuated the entire landfall area as given by forcasts 3/4 days in advance they would be evacuating huge portions of 4 states multiple times a year, by second year of that you would find virtually everyone ignore evac orders due to "false alarms"

Why were resources not pre-staged inland ready to move as soon as the winds died down – this has always been the case with hurricanes that I have been in.
            That is one of the many issues that are going to come out of this, but not for exact "problem" you mention. Why?

Because the resources were there and ready.

According to the head of the strategic military command for southern USA, his troops were in position from Monday, according to the FEMA drivers with supplys with water and rations,they were there by Monday also, but military could not deploy without clearance from the president, while the drivers with supplys were told to hold position in North Louisiana by FEMA

FACT! The disaster in New Orleans is separate to the effects of the hurricane along the Louisiana coastline. We are looking at two separate disasters here. The levees in N.O. were going to fail one day… weather by hurricane storm surge from Lake Pontchatrain, by an earth quake or just bad maintance..
            Seperate but not, sure they could have fallen one day, nature will be always greater than man.

But in this case it was this hurricane that caused it, combined with the poor investment in the levee's to improve them.

If i remember correctly it was decided way back in the 1960's to upgrade those levee's, now 50 years later it was still no where near complete (and funny enough one of the 2 parts that gave way was an upgraded portion). N.O was "condemed" due the democratic system and it's built in lack of long term thinking, every administration kept hopeing that the levee's would not give way while they were in office, thus all kept on reducing funding for the levee's and letting the work slide. This is one of the few things that cannot be laid directly and entirely at the feet of Bush and his administration, though nor does he escape guilt as his administration was doing the exact same

There was no reason for people to remain in New Orleans, many have said that they survived Hurricane Camille in 1969 and would ride this out.
            Sure some stayed there because they thought it would miss, some stayed because they thought they could make it but even more made it because they could not afford to get out or left it to late (last place you want to be in a hurricane is trapped on the freeway in your car).

Easy for government to tell everyone to get out, totally different thing for everyone to be in the position to get out with no decent public transport system, no car and no money.

It is near impossible to build levee’s that could survive a CAT 3 plus hurricane.
            No it's not, what it is is expensive
            Though a lot less expensive that what Katrina is going to cost.

My forecast for the overall death toll is not the 10,000 that is being put about. Along the LA and MS coastline – given that there was CAT5 storm surge then I would think around 250-500 (again it all depends on who got out)

For New Orleans NO ONE knows just yet – but it will not be in the 1000’s
            My estimate is somewhere between 1000 and 1500 total death toll (all states including aftermath)

Personally the lead up to Katrina (all 50 years worth of it) is not that important (well actually it is more important than anything but no one will want to discuss it as it will force people to reevalute the whole democratic system) what is important is the aftermath and how it was handled. And the culprits there will be The president, FEMA and department of homeland security

And for me personally it's that last one that is probably most to blame, before FEMA was taken over by them, they generally always operated extreamly well, had fast response times and coordinated well with local autoritys and were not afraid to take offers of help from anyone, while now they block the red cross from entering affected areas, refuse to let trained medical personnel/groups to enter affected areas and tell them to go sign up to web sites, harrase the coast guard and put local police into situations where they feel they have to post guards on local parish (local council and police) emergency lines to stop FEMA and homeland security from cutting them again.
            Last edited by Not So Wise; 5 September 2005, 16:30.

Comment

FEMA was cleared by the President before Sunday so that they could get moving without having to wait for the get go.

Mailman

Comment

Does not look like FEMA could do much before the military moved in - I think FEMA can organise things, but it lacks resources like 100s of helicopters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                  FEMA was cleared by the President before Sunday so that they could get moving without having to wait for the get go.

Mailman
                  Yes they got the get go, trucks full of supplys were dispached, then they were told on monday to halt. Why?

Red cross and other aid organisations were banned from N.O. Why?

Beyond the actual national guards for the states involved (not nearly enough), orders were not given by the president to activate other states national guards and to mobalize troops that were already in a holding pattern Why?

FEMA and other federal autoritys were hampering or totally blocking the rescue efforts of local autoritys and the coast guard. Why?

Federal Autoritys were turning around away aid from private volunteers (even specially trained medical teams with mobile hospitals) Why?

One of the heads of homeland security was still describing the situation at the superdome as "rumored" even though poor dirt famers could turn on the TV in the middle of africa and see live pictures of it. Why?

Comment

This has put New Orleans on the map. (albeit for the wrong sad reasons).

Most people didn't have a clue where it was until now. most probably still don't. I didn't, until I looked on maporama, the tv media will certinally never tell you (because they already know where it is, so, it doesn't occur to them to tell any of their viewers).

In 5 years time, New Orleans will be a top destination (simply because people will have heard of it and know where it is, a bit like boscastle).
                    New Orleans will rise again even stronger than before (I reckon , but ask zipzong because he always knows best).

just in case, anybody still doesn't know where it is.

http://www.maporama.com/share/Map.as...7&ZoomOut.y=11
                    Last edited by woo; 6 September 2005, 22:14.

Comment

Working...
                    X