• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who is turning to a permie role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is turning to a permie role

I have to admit, after a month of no interviews (a couple of pimp calls) but nothing came of them has left me wondering if I should call it a day.

Applied for a few permie role today and hey presto got a interview arranged for Thursday, a public sector job, which hopefully will outlast this credit crunch....

I like being a contractor and have savings which can pay me £40k for the next two years in the bus account, so should I hang tough?

Gonna go to the interview anyway - good practice....

I suppose all this could be for nothing if I don't get offered the role. But I've got a good record in interviews in the last 9 years, I've always had the role offered after an interview.....

Also is anyone else considering turning to a permie??
    Last edited by wantacontract; 2 October 2008, 13:53.

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
    I have to admit, after a month of no interviews (a couple of pimp calls) but nothing has left me wondering if I should call it a day.

Applied for a few permie role today and hey presto got a interview arranged for Thursday, a public sector job, which hopefully will outlast this credit crunch....

I like being a contractor and have savings which can pay me £40k for the next two years in the bus account, so should I hang tough?

Gonna go to the interview anyway - good practice....

I suppose all this could be for nothing if I don't get offered the role. But I've got a good record in interviews in the last 9 years, I've always had the role offered after an interview.....

permie pay is 48k....which is fine for me to live on....have no mortgage....living in free accommodation so no rent to pay...

Also is anyone else considering turning to a permie??
    I went permie 2 weeks ago...

Am actually really enjoying it

Comment

It will be a cold day in hell etc. when I go permie...

In other words, probably five weeks on the bench
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
        Tried it during the last dip in the market, lasted 4 months. You will get asked what makes you think you'll stay in a perm role if the market picks up. And the honest answer is that they won't see your heels for the dust, and they know it.
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Cheese Louise...

If after 6 months you've found nothing then perhaps.

Depends how desperate you are, a suppose. How many months have you got in the war chest? Then divide by 2, that's how long you've got before applying for permie positions.

Plan B - get a date with that student millionaire.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I applied for one a couple of weeks back, but mainly because of who it was. Haven't heard anything, so I think it's a no go. Maybe they wouldn't consider hiring somebody who'd been a contractor on the assumption I'd disappear as soon as things pick up. I think I've found a new contract, but at a fairly low rate which means the only thing that makes it better than this permie job is being outside IR35. Inside IR35 and the take home pay would only be a couple of hundred a month more .

Pretty carp, but a month of no interviews means I'm going to take whatever I can get.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I applied for one a couple of weeks back, but mainly because of who it was. Haven't heard anything, so I think it's a no go. Maybe they wouldn't consider hiring somebody who'd been a contractor on the assumption I'd disappear as soon as things pick up. I think I've found a new contract, but at a fairly low rate which means the only thing that makes it better than this permie job is being outside IR35. Inside IR35 and the take home pay would only be a couple of hundred a month more .

Pretty carp, but a month of no interviews means I'm going to take whatever I can get.
              Are your services available throughout the UK? Agents are telling me this is one prerequisite that is going against most contractors - wanting a job on they're doorstep.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I've heard that but apparently 'the doorstep'=UK
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  I've heard that but apparently 'the doorstep'=UK
                  Flok me that's one big fooking doorstep - u a Yankee?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Are your services available throughout the UK? Agents are telling me this is one prerequisite that is going against most contractors - wanting a job on they're doorstep.
                    I did hear that from an agent too. I've always been Mr Commuter, but if I get this new one it'll be the first one on my doorstep (well 15 miles), so it's the opposite way around. Maybe lower rates also brings less willingness to travel and/or stay away.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X