• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Explainer: Santander grew under strict reserves regime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spain's largest bank, Banco Santander, has arrived at the higher reaches of the European banking league while working under a strict regulatory regime which could offer some lessons for Britain's beleaguered banking sector.

For many years Santander has been a conservative, stolid operator suffocated by Spain's central bank. But the imposition of those rules has helped the bank avoid the worst of the credit crunch and left it as the fourth biggest mortgage lender in Britain.

Based in the Cantabria region in the north of Spain, it grew from humble regional beginnings largely through trade routes and historic ties to Latin America, where it has built up a substantial business. By some estimates it has 10% of the Latin American market and many of the region's richest people as customers.

In the early 1990s it avoided a banking crisis that forced Spain's central bank to rescue mortgage lender Banesto. Santander bought Banesto at a knock-down price and became a major institution.

After the dust settled, the government forced banks to keep a higher ratio of capital aside to cover bad debts. In the UK, banks typically make provisions to cover 80-100% of their bad debts. In Spain, banks must cover 150% of bad debts.

The Spanish government also prevented banks from disguising the level of their liabilities that are housed in off-balance sheet vehicles. By contrast, UK banks sold and run mountains of mortgages off-balance sheet, and to avoid tax, usually offshore. (AtW's comment: not supring that UK banks are falling like dominos and this Spanish bank is there to pick the best pieces (not the morgages!) )

Spanish mortgages are also rarely sold to cover 100% of a property's value. In the main, homebuyers must find a 20% to 30% deposit. Discounted teaser mortgages, which have become the staple of the US and UK mortgage markets, are also little known in Spain.

So while Spain is suffering a steep property price crash and is already in recession, only the smaller regional banks that account for the majority of mortgage lending are in trouble.

------

Anyone remembers that old City bank chap who appears on BBC programs to comment on financial matters? When this Kredit Krunch thingy started he was saying how UK banks are very solid and that stuff like this could never happen here

I have not seen him recently.

Actually it does sound as if deposits in Santander are safe - not because of some empty words guarantee but because they are being run like a bank, not like a bunch of speculators so typical in the City.

And who was lending all the money to buy property in Spain? Does not look like that bank was doing it even though it is Spanish!

Here you go.

You'll love this guy: Karl Denninger

He is a 'Mr Angry' septic. His analysis is US centric rather than global, but is worth consideration anyway.

BTW, he is against the ban on short selling too.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Here you go.

He is a 'Mr Angry' septic. His analysis is US centric rather than global, but is worth consideration anyway.

He's given me a headache after 1.5 posts.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Here you go.

Whew!

F*** em
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Just because he is a right-wing nutter doesn't mean that he can't come out with some good stuff. I like this one from last week.

McDonalds has a lower risk of default, as expressed in the Credit-Default Swap market, than the United States Federal Government.
          His idea to solve the problem by forcing better clarity of balance sheets and to bring OTC's onto a formal exchange is worthy of consideration.

However, his anti-foreigner stance is not good.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Time will tell how solid Santander is. The fact is that the Spanish housing market is in freefall and we have a worldwide credit crunch.

I would be interested in seeing their loans to deposits ratio, but I do not think you can say that any bank is 100% safe at the moment. Greed takes over and some make strategic mistakes. Santander could soon be in the same boat as it seems to be expanding too rapidly !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              Time will tell how solid Santander is. The fact is that the Spanish housing market is in freefall and we have a worldwide credit crunch.
              But that's the irony that you don't get - UK banks were lending money for UK buyers to buy Spanish property where as it appears Spanish bank like this one (can't speak for others) was not actually interested in such stupid investments!

Look carefully at their history - they lived through big crash and benefited from their wise strategy, now they are doing the same - they actually got paid to take off savings accounts from B&B!

They are clearly running bank on the basis of long term thinking - not suprising given it is a family bank so they are conservative as every bank should be.

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              Santander could soon be in the same boat as it seems to be expanding too rapidly !!
              I think not actually - notice that they are buying only parts of banks - savings, not carp morgages.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                But that's the irony that you don't get - UK banks were lending money for UK buyers to buy Spanish property where as it appears Spanish bank like this one (can't speak for others) was not actually interested in such stupid investments!

Look carefully at their history - they lived through big crash and benefited from their wise strategy, now they are doing the same - they actually got paid to take off savings accounts from B&B!

They are clearly running bank on the basis of long term thinking - not suprising given it is a family bank so they are conservative as every bank should be.

I think not actually - notice that they are buying only parts of banks - savings, not carp morgages.
                FFS why dont you get a job as CEO of a bank or the FSA or become Chancellor.
                Anything to spare us your dull platitudes.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  FFS why dont you get a job as CEO of a bank or the FSA or become Chancellor.
                  Can't argue against what I said then?

I think I might open bank account in that spanish bank and maybe one Irish.

It's been a while since I did that stuff in the UK - when I came hot after Russian default in 1998 I opened 3 UK bank accounts, one in LTSB that I hate, Halifax and Barclays - they were all arses though so I made LTSB main account. Looks like I was right as they were much more convervative than others.

Which bank did you keep your money guru? I would not be suprised if it is one of the failed banks - so much for your City knowledge of the financial systems

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Can't argue against what I said then?

I think I might open bank account in that spanish bank and maybe one Irish.

It's been a while since I did that stuff in the UK - when I came hot after Russian default in 1998 I opened 3 UK bank accounts, one in LTSB that I hate, Halifax and Barclays - they were all arses though so I made LTSB main account. Looks like I was right as they were much more convervative than others.

Which bank did you keep your money guru? I would not be suprised if it is one of the failed banks - so much for your City knowledge of the financial systems
                    I'm beginning to think you're as stupid as you sound.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X