• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone tell me what the difference is between

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tell me what the difference is between

Anyone tell me what the difference is between a private limited company 'ceasing trading' and it being 'dissolved' ?

is there a difference ?

please tell me if you know

I suppose ceasing to trade is just that. The company will no longer trade or undertake work. That does not necessarily mean that it will cease to exist. Perhaps it is going dormant or the receivers have arrived and have stopped it from trading while they wind it up.

Being dissolved is the company ceasing to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by where did my id go? View Post
      I suppose ceasing to trade is just that. The company will no longer trade or undertake work. That does not necessarily mean that it will cease to exist. Perhaps it is going dormant or the receivers have arrived and have stopped it from trading while they wind it up.

Being dissolved is the company ceasing to exist.
      WHS. Companies house are the only ones who can dissolve the company (AFAIK)
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

A company that is dormant still has to file accounts every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          A company that is dormant still has to file accounts every year.
          And is that the same as "ceasing trading"?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            And is that the same as "ceasing trading"?

Yes, but it could be argued that a contractor that has a limited company but has had no contract for a lengthy period of time has 'ceased trading', although his company is not dormant.

Comment

If you explained why you asked the question you might* get some more useful info.

* Only might because this is after all cuk/general

Comment

Working...
              X